Starting to plan USD front fork

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palli

Reaction score
I am going to get a set of new wheels and usd front next winter so im just starting to think about what i need..

First of i do want the Otec triple tree and i was thinking about R1 or hayabusa fork.

here is and R1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...s=72:1171|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ht_13737wt_1088

I know this front end had radial mount for the caliber but does that matter ???
If i just buy the brake calibers and disks from a R1...

Second is the front wheel. Can i fit my orginal or are the axles different.
Maybe i can buy a new rear wheel v-max style and a front wheel R1-style.
But i would like to get 18" front and back. But Sean Morley told me that a 17" front would work even better... Maybe i did not hear him clearly :ummm:

Third speedometer. I have no idea how i am going to tackle that..

Please send me you thought and hope fully a can drive a v-max that can handle the corners in 2010 :punk:

I like the 18" front myself but 17" tires are easier to find. We actually have even used a 19" front which worked quite well.

Check the treads on the new front end. I think the thread will be 20mm x 1.5 pitch. The current vmax axle is 14x1.5. We've got a few custom axles being made and I can get you a link to a special insert adapter for the fork leg (or I can sell you one and loan the tool to install it). Think of it as an oversized helicoil but with locking tangs and aircraft production stuff. We aren't making the inserts since they are commercially available.

We are also using the Otec setup on two bikes with Warrior forks. The Warrior fender is much slimmer then the sportbike fenders.

Sean

I've got the axle set-up that allows you to mount a stock V-max wheel to a R1 front end. It will allow you to use your speedo drive unit and axle. If you do decide to go with a 17" R1 front wheel I have machined the hub to fit a speedo drive unit. There are so many combinations on what you can do so don't get stuck with one idea.

Here is a pic with a 08 R1 front-end.

Regards
Tom
Cycle One-off Inc.
P.O. Box 15415
Rochester, NY 14615
Order by phone toll free 1(866) 238-5450
[email protected]
www.cycleoneoff.com

Attachments

• DSC00897.JPG
    DSC00897.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the info..

Are there any fork that are similar in length as the stock vmax?

I read somewhere that the R1 forks are much shorter.

Thanks for the info..

Are there any fork that are similar in length as the stock vmax?

I read somewhere that the R1 forks are much shorter.

No.

Thats why otec and cycleoneoff make their triples with drops in them.

I think there are some euro companies that will make you custom forks, Bitubo? NP racing? and Ohlins use to make forks for the max that were stock length, see if they will still make them.

No.

Thats why otec and cycleoneoff make their triples with drops in them.

I think there are some euro companies that will make you custom forks, Bitubo? NP racing? and Ohlins use to make forks for the max that were stock length, see if they will still make them.

you know what them custom forks cost? lol he may need more than a year if he goes the complete custom route! hows the setup treatin you mnmax?

later odieoh24

Ok so all the sport bike fork are shorter so what do you guys recommend?
I thought that hayabusa og zx14 would work nice because these bikes are high speed cruisers and heavy, much more heavy than an R1.

Now i have an all stock bike and i think it is fairly low. I am only 176cm i think that is about 5"9-10. How much lower will it be on 17" wheels and R1 fork ? and would i need to lower the rear also ?

I am trying to get the big picture so i can to this cost efficient. I to know this is expensive and the way i see this project it is like:

Triple $1250-1500
forks $500-750
fork springs $100
Wheels $2000

And the some... Speedometer, front fender, maybe brakes.

I am probably forgetting something but that is the reason why i am doing this. If this is way more than a can afford well then i'll just wait another year.

BUT NEW WHEELS ARE A MUST..

To start off for the mean time until you are ready for the forks,

you could go with cycleoneoff.com rear wheel for 850.00 and purchase a a 95 or 96 YZF 600 front wheel for maybe 100-200 bucks. This wheel will fit the max forks and has the angled spokes to match the rear.

or

there is a euro company that converts rear gsxrs(angled spokes again) for about 1000.00, yzf 600 front matches.

so for about a grand you have wheels. need to buy speedo/tach

http://www.spatechnique.com/product_pages/page.cfm?cat=3 pics dont do these any justice, looks look nice in person

or

www.motogadget.de

Then when your ready to buy the forks all you would need to do is replace the front wheel.

Busa forks would be more appropriate because of the weight, they only come in gold.

r1 forks you would want to have them revalved/resprung.

Ok so all the sport bike fork are shorter so what do you guys recommend?
I thought that hayabusa og zx14 would work nice because these bikes are high speed cruisers and heavy, much more heavy than an R1.

Now i have an all stock bike and i think it is fairly low. I am only 176cm i think that is about 5"9-10. How much lower will it be on 17" wheels and R1 fork ? and would i need to lower the rear also ?

I am trying to get the big picture so i can to this cost efficient. I to know this is expensive and the way i see this project it is like:

Triple $1250-1500
forks $500-750
fork springs $100
Wheels $2000

And the some... Speedometer, front fender, maybe brakes.

I am probably forgetting something but that is the reason why i am doing this. If this is way more than a can afford well then i'll just wait another year.

BUT NEW WHEELS ARE A MUST..

Hey Palli,.....I'm in the process of trying this same mod myself.
So far I have a set of R1 forks with calipers. I now know about the Busa forks ,..but I kind of like the idea of keepin it all Yammy.
Tom at COO has been a great help in telling me the parts I will need in what ever direction I want to go,.ei: stock wheels, after market,speedo gear,..fender,..lots to consider.
I was hoping to do this mod first and go with the new rim's later but I can see a benefit to doing the wheels first.
I was planning for awhile now to go with a Veypor instrument set up...you get more than just a tach an speedo,..and no cables in the front.It has a really kewl alum cover for it to dress it up as well.
The cost on the unit is very reasonable compared to any thing else I've found.
There is a few guys in here that have done this mod ,..so don't be afraid to PM some ,..I have had nothing but good honest input and experiance from these guys.
Good luck and keep us posted as the project continues.

http://www.veypor.com/veypor.html

Thanks for all the info.

I really like the spatechnique tach and speedo.. Does anyone have a picture of one on a bike??

I am pretty sure that i will go for 18" wheels and i do not want to lower the bike any more than i need to..

I agree with you RazoR333, it is nice to keep it all yamaha.

Sean. If you are reading than how are the warrior forks on the max ? Do they handle as good as R1 or maybe better?

Please if any one has a nice setup do share it with the rest off us..

I'd love to see some pictures :eusa_dance:

I will have a pic of my SPA in a couple weeks. My friend has an SPA maybe I can get a pic of it.

They are kind of a pain to install, you need a housing to mount it in. You can use your stock speedo housing and internals, you will destroy your speedo, might even take you two speedos to get it right. the people i know destroyed 2 speedos to make it work.

As far as warrior forks go, i dont think they have all the adjustments the r1 has, I know a couple guys that upgraded their warrior forks to r1 forks.

Thanks for all the info.

I really like the spatechnique tach and speedo.. Does anyone have a picture of one on a bike??

I am pretty sure that i will go for 18" wheels and i do not want to lower the bike any more than i need to..

I agree with you RazoR333, it is nice to keep it all yamaha.

Sean. If you are reading than how are the warrior forks on the max ? Do they handle as good as R1 or maybe better?

Please if any one has a nice setup do share it with the rest off us..

I'd love to see some pictures :eusa_dance:

One of the first thoughts on seeing the new warrior star,.."hmmm nice forks ,..wonder if they'd graf to the Max"?:ummm:
Next was ,.."GAWD those handle bars suk!" :puke:

One of the first thoughts on seeing the new warrior star,.."hmmm nice forks ,..wonder if they'd graf to the Max"?:ummm:
Next was ,.."GAWD those handle bars suk!" :puke:

I believe the botom triple will mount to the max, then you need the top triple with a drop or fork extentions and a new top triple

sean was doing this mod.

I've got one upper tripple I am going to sell but I think Fargo may have first dibs on it. Still working on the other setup. Either setup requires a vmax stem to be pressed into the R1 lower triple.

Sean

Latest posts

Back