Starts in Nuetral Only

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slide

Reaction score
My 2000 will only start in nuetral if the green lite is on. I am unable to start it in gear with the clutch in or when it is in nuetral but the light is not on. Please offer a fix as it would be a pain in the butt if I stalled in traffic and had to find nuetral, etc. Thanks.

do you have the kickstand up? The bike wont start with the kickstand down, even if you have the clutch pulled in

Sounds like the kick-stand kill switch kicked the bucket. maybe pull the connectors to it and jumper them and see what happens. if it works, you found your problem.

Neutral light should always be on when in neutral. Test your neutral switch.

Clutch switch? My '85 has gone through 3 of them in its 102K miles.

I would check the connections and the contacts in the clutch switch (as was mentioned earlier). This is what controls the system in the situation you mention.

Sean

My '07 started doing the same thing yesterday. Only starts in neutral with the stand up. I'll check out the connections for the clutch switch. Thanks.

Most of the time for me the problem you are describing is because I accidentally unplugged the spade terminal connections on the clutch switch when I was waxing or polishing it.

wfcall said:
Most of the time for me the problem you are describing is because I accidentally unplugged the spade terminal connections on the clutch switch when I was waxing or polishing it.
That was it. I washed/waxed it yesterday, and noticed the gotta-be-in-neutral problem right after that. One of the spade terminals was loose, and when I plugged it back in...away it went.

Thanks for the help.

This is why I love this forum. So much help and the problem gets solved.
Buster? You should keep a tally of problems solved in this forum. That would be kewl. Like McD's over billions served. LOL!

This forum is just the place to be if you own a vmax. Theres just as much knowledge here as anywhere else but with maybe 1% of the bullshit. You guys are great

Mine doesn't have that cable anymore (clutch switch) mishap with the power buffer.... oops.

I don't mind it as I always park in neutral anyway unless on a hill.

Odd thing is though, every now and then when I forget to shift to neutral when parked on a hill it still starts up... Go figure.

Re: HELP! Neutral switch light hard to get on........

I have a 2000 vmax that is hard to get into neutral and green light indicator to come on . I have replaced with 2 new neutral switches twice and still doesn't work right. Its very difficult to get in neutral and green light to come on. It's very frustrating to get in neutral after about a dozen trys. It does eventualy go in if I reach down and jiggle and pull up and down till light comes on. Every once in a while it will work o.k., but more times than not it won't work right.:confused2:

Had the same problem on and off for some time now.....add one more reason to the "polishing chrome sucks because" list.....thanks for the info guys.

Darren

I have a 2000 vmax that is hard to get into neutral and green light indicator to come on . I have replaced with 2 new neutral switches twice and still doesn't work right. Its very difficult to get in neutral and green light to come on. It's very frustrating to get in neutral after about a dozen trys. It does eventualy go in if I reach down and jiggle and pull up and down till light comes on. Every once in a while it will work o.k., but more times than not it won't work right.:confused2:

is getting it in neutral the problem or getting the light to show when its in neutral?

Had the same problem on and off for some time now.....add one more reason to the "polishing chrome sucks because" list.....thanks for the info guys.

Darren

what does getting it in neutral have to do with polishing chrome????:ummm::ummm::confused2::confused2:

Getting into Neutral is difficult and more so when hot but will sometimes be difficult when cold also. Once in neutral light comes on good. Has Prestone dot 4 synthetic fluid in clutch cylinder and yamalube 20w-50w in engine and transmission........

mine's a pain in the balls to get in esp with my clutch upgrade. do you blip the throttle when trying, that makes it 10x easier usually.

Latest posts

Back