Starving motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde Porter IV

Reaction score
Seen that some folks run there idle set screw out to find that perfect pitched Lope: I cringe when I see people do that or hear the bike begging for more fuel: I thinking that I’m pretty sure the oil is having a hard time feeding to. Because when people love the sound guess what they tend to want more of the same and that not good

If you want the 'lope,' just get one of those switches to futz with the VBoost opening RPM's. The no-cost way is to simply unplug the VBoost stepper motor connector when it cycles open, then closed, when you turn on the ignition. Catch it when it opens, unplug it, and ride around with a lopey idle to your heart's content. It drives the H-D boys crazy.

If you want the 'lope,' just get one of those switches to futz with the VBoost opening RPM's. The no-cost way is to simply unplug the VBoost stepper motor connector when it cycles open, then closed, when you turn on the ignition. Catch it when it opens, unplug it, and ride around with a lopey idle to your heart's content. It drives the H-D boys crazy.
Catching the door up by pulling the plug. Does that do much more to the Motor besides what u could do with the idle screw. Especially with Remax I would advise anybody to be cranking down on the RPMs. Seems to me doing that you’re also listening what oil gets up to the top

Here's vboost butterflies open full time with idle set 'up' to stop stalling in traffic. Also factory exhaust with drill holes.

Does that do much more to the Motor besides what u could do with the idle screw. Especially with Remax I would advise anybody to be cranking down on the RPMs. Seems to me doing that you’re also listening what oil gets up to the top
It does different.
I guess running open V Boost wouldn't alter the a.f.r. which tweaking the idle mixture screws does and will affect carburation throughout the rev range.
However, it will slow the air speed through the venturi which will affect how well the fuel is atomised and therefore the efficiency of the burn.
Dyno runs have shown that running with open V Boost reduces the low down torque the motor produces.

I've never read of a V Max motor suffering because of oil starvation due to low idle speed so I don't see that as an issue.

I run my 2004 v-max with the Butterflys on the v boost open by unplug the servo just as it draws the cable to the top. Runs like a rabbit with a beagle hound on its ass. Only problem i had with my bike was the rev. fuel light did not come on, and the rev. switch did not work. Got stuck about 3 miles from house at 3 in the morning. I hooked the plug back together and it took several tries to pump the bowls back with gas but once I had gas flowing again all was good. IF I got a full tank of gas, I would unplug it just to go and ride in town on Sunday after church and get them H D boys pissed off. Then I would plug it back when I got back home.

We must have a different breed of Harley guys around me. They don't seem to impressed with my idle. WFO pulling through 7000 rpm charging to the redline. Now that impresses me and probably pisses them off I think. I'm too far ahead to know.

Back