Static Wheel balancing - HELP!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just placed on my new shinko tires with a 170 rear. My bike only has about 6100 miles and this is its first replacement tire. When placing on the static balancer, the rear wheel took me 8 - 1/4oz lead weights to balance. Is this right? I have never on my other 2 vmax's used that many weights? One thing I noticed is a little red circle on the tire not aligned up with the air valve? Is that ok or should it be lined up for weight purposes? Not sure if that means anything or not. The guy that changed it said it doesnt matter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

Red Dot Misaligned. It means that you may have more weights than would have been actually needed but as long as the rotation is in the right direction, it'll work fine. I have heard of Shinko's taking as many as 12, 1/4 oz weights when they are aligned... :ummm:

My Metzler 170 rear took 4, 1/4's and the dot is aligned.

Red Dot Misaligned. It means that you may have more weights than would have been actually needed but as long as the rotation is in the right direction, it'll work fine. I have heard of Shinko's taking as many as 12, 1/4 oz weights when they are aligned... :ummm:

My Metzler 170 rear took 4, 1/4's and the dot is aligned.

Well the shop I took it couldnt even mount the front, they were too afraid of ruining it. I think I will just have to take it to the stealership and pay the $70 for both to be correct. I dont like having all those silver weights on the black wheels.....

If I deflate the rear, can I rotate the tire so the red dot is aligned with the air valve or does the bead need to be broken again to do so?

Well the shop I took it couldnt even mount the front, they were too afraid of ruining it. I think I will just have to take it to the stealership and pay the $70 for both to be correct. I dont like having all those silver weights on the black wheels.....

If I deflate the rear, can I rotate the tire so the red dot is aligned with the air valve or does the bead need to be broken again to do so?
The bead needs to be broken to rotate the tire. You should be able to get black wheel weights from the shop.

No chance, you'd need to break the bead loose from being seated. I say no chance but there are always exceptions to the rule.

Oops: Or paint the ones that are on there...Q-Tip and paint in a small paper cup..:biglaugh:

id deflate, break the bead, line it up and re-inflate it, take it back to the shop and rebalance it. or get them to line up the dot, will help reduce it for sure.

I have my own tire mounting machine and tire balancing tools.
On every bike I mount tires on, I always first put just the rim on the balancer and find the 'real' heavy spot on the wheel. Many shops incorrectly assume that the valve stem area is the heavy side of the rim, and they mistakenly align the dot on the tire at that location.

I'm never seen the valve stem area be the heavy spot on any wheels I've ever worked on other than my Carrozzeria wheels. On the Carros, the valve stem area IS the heaviest on both my front and rear rims.

So what I do it align the tire with the actual heavy spot, and on all the tires I've mounted and balanced, I really have never had to use an excessive amount of weight to balance the rim/tire assembly (but I've also never mounted a set of Shinkos either, so those tires may not be as balanced as the Dunlops, Metzelers, etc that I have usually worked with).

Vinnie

Well, took the tires to my local Yamaha dealer who did them on the spot. $80 later they're done, but when I was cleaning the rims up with a rag, the stick on wheel weights fell right off the front wheel. Grrrrrrrr...so now I just ordered dyna beads for both the front and rear to be done with it all! Such a racket to charge an arm and a leg to mount/balance and they they dont last either! Oh well at least it will be done and over with by next week when the dyna beads come in.

I would take it back and tell them this same story and demand better wheel weights or money back.......

A friend of mine that has been riding and doing his own work for years tried the beads last year and swears he will never use anything else again......he loves them.(I must have listened to him tell the story forty times). He is the only person I know to use them though. Any one here try them?

Has anyone tried this "Ride On" stuff. apparently it is used as a sealant in the event you run over a nail or something and a tire balancer, saw a booth at the motorcycle show here in edmonton canada and the guys swore by it, i am also seeing lots of testimonials on the net, might be worth a try

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Yep, I installed them with the Avon tires, no other weights and they are smooth as glass... I wouldn't use anything else.

EDIT Somehow I missed Shicks post. I was talking about the Dynabeads... I used whatever they suggest, can't remember exactly but am very pleased with the results.

Last edited:
For all that are interested, I purchased the dyna beads with free shipping here:

http://www.hondanuts.com/dynabeads.html

This is the lowest price that I could find for them. I ordered them yesterday and according to the email notification, they were shipped out yesterday too!!! BONUS...... I should have them today or tomorrow since NY to MD isnt more than a day or two USPS.

I will give you my opinion once installed and ridden on next week.

As to the dealership....ummm....I mean stealership...I will call them and speak with the service manager to file a complaint and get at least the balancing portion refunded back to me.

i I JUST RODE OVER 600+ MILES ON MY NEW METZLER TIRES AND DYNA-BEADS , AND THEY WORKED OUT GREAT ! . .:punk:

Haven't tried the dynabeads yet, but both the Max and my TransAlp (tubed) will be getting them the next time the tires need changing. I've read too many positive testimonials about the dynabeads- I've got to at least try them out.

Last edited:
A friend of mine that has been riding and doing his own work for years tried the beads last year and swears he will never use anything else again......he loves them.(I must have listened to him tell the story forty times). He is the only person I know to use them though. Any one here try them?
I'm using them with Shinko tires. I did put 1/2 oz. extra in each tire over the recommended amount. I've herd the Dyna-Beads eat the rubber a bit, but I don't run Shinko's after 5k of use. So far I'm satisfied.I have about 2k on the tires and beads. Smooth ride. Dyna-Beads have been used in other applications for a long time. I'd be interested in what others have to say about them. I'll report back when I remove this set of tires.
Steve-o

So does the dot on the tire mark the lightest part of the tire so the valve stem (heaviest part of the rim) lines up with it? I figured the spot is just a reference for future break downs, like flat repair, so you get the tire back in the right spot. I just put a set of new Dunlops on mine and I was so excited about taking it for a spin for the first time in 16 years I didn't even notice the dots.:bang head: I guess I'll break the bead and line them up before balancing even though they sure feel smooth up to 100.

Back