Stator Cover causing hard starts???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Seriously
Here is the issue. Had to replace the stator awhile back. After about 1000 miles or so the bike started having a hard time starting. Sounded like a box of rocks. After inspection of the dowel pins I noticed flat spots... So I replaced the dowel pins, compression springs and caps. Put it all back together and it wont even turn over. So I thought to myself, self, the clutch is too tight for the old 2 brush starter. Got a new 4 brush starter and what a pain in the ass to get out. Oh well that is all done. Put the stator cover on and same thing. Pull off cover and check installation of everything. All appears well. So I thought to myself, self, what if something is binding up in the idler gears. Place cover back on, lightly, to hold the gear pins in place and bike fires right up. Cool right, wrong. Tighten up all the cap screws and has same problem. Wont turn over. Loosen the screws a bit and wham, over it goes. Tight screws no go, loose screws go.

So after all of this rambling my question is...

What am I missing??? :confused2::ummm:
Is there some special way or something I missed when putting the cover back on???

Thanks in advance guys

Cheers:cheers:

you are using a gasket right?? I do know the tolerances are so tight on the cover that just trying to use gasket sealer without an actual gasket will bind things up.

Sean

you are using a gasket right?? I do know the tolerances are so tight on the cover that just trying to use gasket sealer without an actual gasket will bind things up.

Sean

Actually No. I was just using sealant :bang head: Just a thought though, the gasket is thinner than using sealant, wouldnt that bring the cover closer to the engine and reduce the clearances even more, causing more binding???
Today as the postman walked by he said "One day I will see you riding your bike, not working on it" I just laughed but sometimes the truth is said in jest. :damn angry:

I will order a gasket and see how it turns out.

Cheers:cheers:

The silicon will squeeze out and leave an extremely thin bead in there. The gasket will crush some but still maintain a gap.

Sean

Back