Stator or Pick-up assembly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enticer

Reaction score
I have a 1985 VMax had since new, after having all the covers chromed it seems the bike runs great until it gets warm then it wants to cut out or die when at idle at stop lights, could my pick-up assemblies be bad, it all started when I had the covers chromed, had the carbs done and it runs great just until when the fan is suppose to kick in then it stars to cut out or try to die until i throttle it up

No, probably not your pick-up coil. If the coil goes bad due-to an intermittent open circuit, it will not run once the coil gets hot. That causes an open circuit, no signal from the crankshaft flywheel rotor. Of course, a severed conductor or conductors from the pick-up coil, will-not permit the bike to even-start. 1985-'89 bikes have multiple pick-up coil wires, 1990-'07 have just two.

If the bike keeps running because you 'throttle it up,' I doubt it's the pick-up coil. 'Had the carbs done,' but it dies at idle, sounds like the pilot jets are dirty again. Change the gas filter, look at the gas tank for corrosion or gunk. How-many miles on this original owner ride?

You might try re-soldering the ignition box connections to the PC board. Or replacing the ignition box.

A 1985 'had since new,' what took you so-long to join? Where are you? Add your location below your screen name. Add your '85 to the first year VMax registry list on-here.

Last edited:
I have a 1985 VMax had since new, after having all the covers chromed it seems the bike runs great until it gets warm then it wants to cut out or die when at idle at stop lights, could my pick-up assemblies be bad, it all started when I had the covers chromed, had the carbs done and it runs great just until when the fan is suppose to kick in then it stars to cut out or try to die until i throttle it up

Kind of a shot in the dark, because there could be multiple reasons for it. Like F.M. mentioned, pilot jets can be a cause. They are hard to clean and get clogged easy. Search the thread for the shotgun method of cleaning them. Many times a thin wire has to be forced through the jets. A thin guitar string wire is good to use. Early Gen 1's also came with a crap voltage regulator that is problematic. The crimp fix for early models also is something to check, as well as ground integrity. Make sure there is ample battery voltage at idle. A later model R/R is a good upgrade. And a direct bolt on. The fan kicks on and the headlight draw at idle point to a possible low voltage at idle situation. Also, check for a pinched stator wire from the stator cover removal. And the plug for the stator wires, 3 white, is a high resistance issue many times. Often times when an issue suddenly appears, I have to just check what I just touched.

You say that it begins to die when the fan cuts in?

I wonder if the alternator or regulator are not able to supply sufficient voltage to meet the demands of the system when the fan cuts in or you have bad earth's or connections in the loom.

I would start by checking through the power generation system.
This or this should help.

^^^ easy to test that.
From memory the thermostat is under the RH scoop, remove that, remove the plug.

Have bike idling, then short the 2 pins in the plug - fan should start to run.

The generator is producing least power at idle so would prove one way or the other as to whether there is a problem with it.

Going-along with Mr. Midnight's good advice, how is the battery? If you've had that since forever, I'm sure that your replacement batteries by # are into double-digits. A weak battery and the voltage regulator and the alternator's wires and connections being bolloxed, could present an inability to work properly. Remember that the early models regulators without a separate ground wire, ground by attachment to the mounting point. Removing the regulator to see what the metal to metal connection is like, may prove beneficial.

The first three places I check on any electrical issue are the connectors, the condition of the battery, and grounds (earths in the U.K.).

Lots of people have discovered oxidized connectors for the alternator wires under the left lower frame rail. If when you see the white plastic connector, it's discolored to a caramel color, or charred, the wire connectors are no-good. Many solder them to the R/R leads.

Last edited:
Post some pictures of that year one bike!

Look at the 3 wire connector under the left hand side cover. They often start to melt together. I have a low mileage 85 and it started to act up like your describing. I found this to be the problem with mine.

^^^ easy to test that.
From memory the thermostat is under the RH scoop, remove that, remove the plug.

Have bike idling, then short the 2 pins in the plug - fan should start to run.

The generator is producing least power at idle so would prove one way or the other as to whether there is a problem with it.

I think you are referring to the fan thermoswitch which is under the scoop, the one with the blue and black wires.
The thermostat is on the front of the engine.

And yes I know you were only testing to see who was paying attention....do I get a prize for spotting your deliberate mistake?

I think you are referring to the fan thermoswitch which is under the scoop, the one with the blue and black wires.
The thermostat is on the front of the engine.

And yes I know you were only testing to see who was paying attention....do I get a prize for spotting your deliberate mistake?
Yes, you do! A year's supply of delicious Weetabix! Enjoy!

Weetabix.jpg

Just ordered a new battery since the old one was 7 years old and will try some of the replies to see if I can find anything, its funny, I have not ridden my bike but just a short ride all the time since this has been happening a few years back but want to start riding much more like I use to and thanks to all the guys replying with troubleshooting ideas!

Back