Stator wires heating up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastwhiteman

Reaction score
Group, I have a friend that has a 1985 Max that has a problem with the stator wires heating and I think melts the connectors. He has replaced the stator with a new one but still has this issue. Any guidance will be appreciated.

I would suggest checking the output of the R/R at idle and at a couple of different rpm's. He might discover the R/R is putting out too-much voltage. Also, are the wires soldered instead of using the male-female plug? Heat is caused by too-much current, or too-much resistance. Check for a good ground from the R/R to the frame, and try running a 10 or 12 gauge cable to another ground point or to the battery from the R/R.

Thanks for the response, Fire.
As far as I know the bike is box-stock and just looking at it I would guess the only thing done to this bike is oil changes. Well other than the stator replacement, which is looking like a stealer repair. I haven't volunteered my time to delve into this, yet, but it's got me wondering. I will try your suggestions.

Follow FM's suggestions and when checking the R/R grounds be sure to at least remove the passenger peg bracket and clean all it's mounting points as that will improve the ground as well. I updated my original R/R to a mofset style R/R and improved the voltage to 14.6 at 2000 rpm and 14 at idle. Running a ground line AND a positive line to the battery will eliminate a lot of charging issues.

Back