Stator?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Looks like the gremlins are still biting Godzilla..
The bike starts and runs fine. I noticed a drop in the volts at the voltmeter after a few miles. It would drop to 12.2, then back up to 14.0.. Got the machine home, and put a meter right to battery. By now the bike was warmed up fully. Only about a 12.7 volt charge.
I put a MOSFET R/R unit in about a year ago. I will admit it was a no-name Chinese replacement. Maybe that will turn out to be the problem.

I checked the output voltage of the statorat 2000 RPM - well over 60 Volts AC at all 3 terminal combinations. No sign of any problem with grounded coils. Infinite resistance between the 3 terminals and ground.

I tested the resistance between all 3 combinations of white wires, and got exactly 1.7 ohms between all combinations.

Any suggestions? My guess is that there is a defect in the regulator. The voltage dropped quickly after a cold start, way before the stator would have heated up.

Was the Mosfet intended to be an upgrade, or a replacement for a defective original?
If an upgrade, switch it back to the original, and see what happens.
Sure doesn't appear that the stator is at fault.
Cheers!

I've got the regulator running directly to the battery. I rechecked the resistance in the stator and found it to be a bit less than I mentioned.. It was 1.2 ohms on all combinations of connectors. This makes me even more sure that the stator is OK. I just ordered the unit Blaxmax suggested..

I've got the regulator running directly to the battery. I rechecked the resistance in the stator and found it to be a bit less than I mentioned.. It was 1.2 ohms on all combinations of connectors. This makes me even more sure that the stator is OK. I just ordered the unit Blaxmax suggested..
Bill, I would suggest an inline 30amp fuse going to the battery.

Shindegen SH775 or Compufire SERIES style RRs are permanent solutions to these problems. They save stators by not shunting the over voltage back through the windings (unlike a MOSFET).

rdbul;427046[I said:
]Shindegen SH775 or Compufire SERIES style RRs are permanent solutions to these problems. They save stators by not shunting the over voltage back through the windings (unlike a MOSFET).[/I]

Now that's useful info, come replacement time.

Back