Steering Head Bearings - Ball or Taper?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
So I'm still chasing this "wobble" on my bike. You can read the 15 pages (to date) HERE.

The head bearings are about the last things left to change. As I was shopping for bearings, I read in some descriptions that the tapered bearings are an upgrade to the stock ones.
Are the stock ones ball bearings? Just curious. :ummm:

Stock are tapered.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Taper needed to allow pre-load adjustment. I'm due for an inspection and packing, then adjustment. Unless they have to be changed. The races need inspection as the rollers stay in one spot most of the time, wearing into the race.

Taper needed to allow pre-load adjustment. I'm due for an inspection and packing, then adjustment. Unless they have to be changed. The races need inspection as the rollers stay in one spot most of the time, wearing into the race.

I just did mine. I loved how my dremel tool worked to get the lower race out. If you want a quick/easy way to lube the bearings these do the trick. You can get the nozzle between the rollers.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoject-Curv...ue&ref_=ox_sc_mini_detail&smid=A1BKWBF8BLD081

Steve, how often do you lube/inspect your head bearings? I do every two years but am wondering if yearly lube would be beneficial.

Mark

...The races need inspection as the rollers stay in one spot most of the time, wearing into the race.

Understood. I'm buying these now:
EBAY Head Bearing Set

Bearings, races, seals... everything I need.

Living in Hungary, I'm kind of limited on options for parts. These are in Ebay UK, so I can have them shipped to my house in Hungary.

Back