Steering problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimclfd

Reaction score
Looking for some troubleshooting help. When I let go of the handlebars on my 2005 Vmax with 8300 miles on it, I get a violent shake, wobble. Only over 30 miles per hour, though. Anything a novice mechanic can check. Otherwise it's going to a dealer. Thanks.

Shakes can be caused by uneven suspension, old/badly worn tires/low pressure in tires/ and a lot of other reasons. On the max this problem is especially common:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

I believe the head bolt there is 22mm, and you'll need either a spanner wrench as shown or a chisel/hammer to adjust the barrings.

I had the same problems when I first got mine...and it was the steering head bearings...Zack posted an excellant video on how to check and tighten them.

Reminds me of a childhood joke:

Boy gets a new bicycle for his birthday and goes around the block for a ride. First pass back in front of the house he say's "look ma, no hands." Second time around the block he say's "look ma, no feet." Third time around he say's "look ma, no teeth".

The only time I let go of my handlebars is after coming to a complete stop.

Thanks everyone. I did the first part of the video and got the front tire of the ground, (which is new BTW) and did the "bounce" test. YEAH...like a basketball. It bounces badly. One side is far worse than the other. Thanks again. I don't have the spanner wrench required, so we'll see what the next move is....

Thanks everyone. I did the first part of the video and got the front tire of the ground, (which is new BTW) and did the "bounce" test. YEAH...like a basketball. It bounces badly. One side is far worse than the other. Thanks again. I don't have the spanner wrench required, so we'll see what the next move is....

Dingy on here actually sells a spanner wrench specifically for tightening up the steering head bearings.

Here is the ebay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Stee...08&category=35557&cmd=ViewItem#ht_1580wt_1170

I have it....works GREAT!!!!

If you don't want to wait for the wrench to get there you can also use a thick bladed flat screwdriver to rotate the nuts tighter. The reason it falls more to one side then the other is the throttle cables.

Sean

My bike passed the bounce test after adjustment. But, it still had a shake going over bumps in the road. The race was badly worn, with a notch dead center on the lower race. The visual inspection if problems persist is necessary.
Steve-o

Just use a jack under the case to lift her up so the front tire isn't on the ground?

Just use a jack under the case to lift her up so the front tire isn't on the ground?
As long as it's stable. I use a piece of wood under the frame crossbar (by the oil filter) that is just a little longer then when the forks are fully extended to lift my front wheel off the ground. (See pic) If you have slider you can put jackstands under them, I do this when I am doing a lot of work on the bike/ front tire-wheel removal/ winter storage/ etc..
Ideally you do not want any cables or wiring to encumber/ imped the motion while it while testing how it "falls" to one side or the other. The cables nor wires should not cause much binding normally anyways and you can get a pretty good idea if you have an issue with your bearings. It can make getting the tension a little tougher though.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
As long as it's stable. I use a piece of wood under the frame crossbar (by the oil filter) that is just a little longer then when the forks are fully extended to lift my front wheel off the ground. (See pic) If you have slider you can put jackstands under them, I do this when I am doing a lot of work on the bike/ front tire-wheel removal/ winter storage/ etc..
Ideally you do not want any cables or wiring to encumber/ imped the motion while it while testing how it "falls" to one side or the other. The cables nor wires should not cause much binding normally anyways and you can get a pretty good idea if you have an issue with your bearings. It can make getting the tension a little tougher though.

Thx Red!!

Shakes can be caused by uneven suspension, old/badly worn tires/low pressure in tires/ and a lot of other reasons. On the max this problem is especially common:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

I believe the head bolt there is 22mm, and you'll need either a spanner wrench as shown or a chisel/hammer to adjust the barrings.

Been having a minor wobble at low speeds with 1 handed riding. Followed this video, and that was the issue.

The wrench needed in metric is 27mm.

Sean's fix there in the vid cured everything right up. The bike feels amaaaaazingly planted. I also have race tech emulators and brand new shinko's on, but ultimately this bearing was the cause. Everything else is just gravy.

Bike is an 06 with 5000 miles on it. Bike has probably had this problem since I got it last fall with 2200 miles on it. Your bike is never too young to need this adjustment, if you have a wobble, get off your ass and do this test before worrying about anything else.

:edit:
As to the spanner wrench, I already happened to have one of these in the ol toolbox. Worked just fine.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WBHZ/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working mostly with bikes. It's rare I get a chance to break out something as big as a 27mm. Garage felt extra manly that day. *grunt* *fart* *belch*

Back