Steering race removal tool

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
Just happened to see this on Amazon. I've seen another version but that didn't look like it would work since the spreaders were too thick to get between the face and shoulder. This one has ends that are only 1/32" but not sure if it would work or not. I usually use a dremel with diamond cutting wheel so will probably continue to do that. Figured would post this in case others wish to try.

BZBMGMO Upgrade Steering Neck Bearing Race Remover

I wish I had seen this tool a week ago - I just got done with a steering bearing job and had to Dremel out the lower race...leaving a small slot in the neck.

If I had used this tool, I would have to grind it to fit. The lower race has the same inner diameter as the neck, and there are just two small slots inside of the neck to pound a drift on the race. It's ridiculously impossible to get any purchase (grab) to pound on the race.

Here is a video of this race removal tool in use:

Race Removal Tool
Calling a brass drift punch a 'chisel' for use to drive-out steering head bearings doesn't give me much confidence in his abilities or use of mechanical vocabulary. I guess it's just me.

Park Tool sells a great tool for setting steering head bearing races.
Amazon.com : Park Tool HHP-2 Revised Head and Hanger Cup Press : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors

They have a removal tool which I've never used. Dunno if it will fit motorcycle headsets, it's up to 1-1/2" and I expect the race is larger than that.
Amazon.com : Park Tool RT-1 Head Cup Remover for 1, 1-1/8, 1-1/4 - Inch Headsets : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors

I grind two eyebrows in the edge of the bearing seat 180 degrees apart (outer bearing race out, of course) to expose an edge of the bearing outer race once it's inserted to make it easier to drive-out the next time.

Last edited:
Best way in my opinion is to use a welder to get out stuck outer races lots of videos online about it.
I’ve found I never needed to go all the way around depending how big the race is I usually only run 1 or 1 1/2 inch beads every 90 degrees and it will drop right out if it’s a bigger race every 45 degrees sometimes a little tap is necessary

cheers
Peter

I have just cut a piece of 1/4 X 1” flat bar to fit inside the race and welded it in place. Doesn’t take a huge weld - then tap the flat bar from above. The heat and having something to hit works great. Just be careful not to zap the race into the neck with the welder otherwise the dremel is going to be needed.

I saw that one too. It jams itself into the race itself and then you tap from above. Correct? I discounted it because it got bad reviews due to the tool not holding itself to the race when being tapped.

OTC 4796
If I were to use that style tool, I'd come up with a cylindrical driver to engage both halves at the same time. My choice for something in this price range would the Park Steering Stem Bearing Race Removal Tool.

Here is a video of the Park tool:

If I were to use that style tool, I'd come up with a cylindrical driver to engage both halves at the same time. My choice for something in this price range would the Park Steering Stem Bearing Race Removal Tool.

Here is a video of the Park tool:

Saw this one too, unfortunately won't work since there's nothing for the fingers to snap behind.

For lack of a welder, but a I have a Dremel style rotary tool with fiberglass cutting wheel that easily fits in downtube. I slice two grooves on opposite sides of the race. This is simply to allow a flat blade driver to alternately tap it out. Problem is this works great for knocking out the bottom race but what about knocking the top one out on an assembled bike ! I wish Yamaha simply spec’d a race that exceeded the machining for the race leaving nothing to tap on. Maybe someone with a bearing supplier could identify a bearing/race assembly with a smaller ID but does not contact the steering stem. That way there would be plenty of “land” or material to tap on to knock it out. Boca Bearing maybe ?

Back