Steering Stem Bearings on a 1989

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightninggrant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have found lots of info on replacing and setting up the bearings here.
But not any list of parts used.
Not sure what comes in the packages.
I have these Yamaha part #'s for an 1989.
93332-00001-00 and 93332-00008-00
Is this all I need to order?
Am I missing anything else?
After tightening mine I can feel that they are no good.
Would like to order everything at once so when I go to do it, I can finish the job.

Thanks for any input.

You have the correct part numbers for the upper & lower bearings, the only other thing you might want to check into is OD bearing race removal tool. The old outer bearing race can be a pain to remove without the proper tool.

You have the correct part numbers for the upper & lower bearings, the only other thing you might want to check into is OD bearing race removal tool. The old outer bearing race can be a pain to remove without the proper tool.

Damon, what is your method for removing the lower race?

If a welder is handy, run a bead down the middle of the race all the way around. If it doesn't fall out on the floor, you'll have something to hit with a long punch. It's cleaner than grinding a piece out of the neck.

Damon, what is your method for removing the lower race?

I have a self expanding bearing removal tool that you draw up into the frame neck just past the edge of the outer race then you drive it back out and the race is carried out with the tool. I'll try to get you a pic of the tool. The welding process works well also, just draw a bead on the old race & it shrinks it enough to allow it to fallout.

I have a self expanding bearing removal tool that you draw up into the frame neck just past the edge of the outer race then you drive it back out and the race is carried out with the tool. I'll try to get you a pic of the tool. The welding process works well also, just draw a bead on the old race & it shrinks it enough to allow it to fallout.

I do not not have a removal tool, but I do have a welder.
Will be ordering the bearings tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help.

You can order All Balls bearings probably at a significant savings over OEM. The bearing set is a very common size and was used on many Japanese bikes. Retail price $33.90 Parts Unlimited part #0410-0022
http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1004.html
file_3.jpg

Kit Component Description QTY per Kit
2765.jpg
Seal 1
11211.jpg
Tapered Bearing 1
2768.jpg
Seal 1
11213.jpg
Tapered Bearing 1

Parts Unlimited 0410-0022 Thibault 237221004 Tucker Rocky 41-4147

A welder is the ticket, when you drop the stem down and out, run your finger up inside the bore.
That I thought was Yamaha's dirty little secret, I shouted "WHAT THE F#^*!!!! The I.D. of that part of the frame is the same I.D. as the top of the bearing taper and bottomed into its bore so tight no race removal tool I could find could even begin to get enough purchase on the top of the race as to allow it to be knocked down out of the race. Sooo I globbed enough of a beed at a random 6 and 12 o'clock position to knock it out from the top with a long drift, it about fell out the because it was still really hot. There are some YouTube videos of a guy using a really hard burr type bit to grind a line out of the race and chiseling it out that way...pretty tedious,chips every where. I know this is long winded and wished I had taken pics to pass on to help someone out with. Good luck

I am not a fan of the all balls bearings. Just didn't seem to fit properly when we tried using a set. Plus the seal that is not incorporated into the bearing seems like an afterthought compared to the stock lower.

I used All Balls on a couple bikes and they fit OK, no issues, and they improved handling over the worn stockers.

Going to a local bearing house may be a good way to replace what you have, if you don't want to use the All Balls, and you can always go stock.

Not having Sean's experience of working on the VMax continuously, for many customers, I only have my own bikes to care-for. You can usually never go wrong w/stock.

I am not a fan of the all balls bearings. Just didn't seem to fit properly when we tried using a set. Plus the seal that is not incorporated into the bearing seems like an afterthought compared to the stock lower.

Was looking at your site yesterday and never found the bearings there.
Then I though about our crappy dollar at $1.47 exchange rate.
Most likely better for me to order here in Canada from the dealer.

The Canada dollar is pretty weak comparatively right now. I don't know when i'm going to get off my butt (and find time) to update the website. Email me at [email protected] for a word doc with many (not all) of the stuff we offer. I haven't bothered to make the list of OEM parts we offer but you can make a safe bet that I have more Vmax specific parts in stock then any Yamaha dealer. Not including the used stuff.

I need to clarify that this is normal replacement stuff (I don't stock new body parts for instance).

Going to a local bearing house may be a good way to replace what you have, .

I've never had luck with any of our local bearing suppliers. Any time I call, the part is not in stock and the cost is on par with ordering OEM online once the local tax is included.

Would love to find a local place that has inventory and decent pricing.

Back