Sticking throttle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-VMAX

Reaction score
So out of nowhere I went to go on a ride and when I twist the throttle it stays where it was twisted to unless manually twisted back. No mods or work have been done recently so I’m not sure what the problem could be. It worked fine last time I had it out a couple days ago

any help is much appreciated

Sounds like your return cable is broken or bound up somehow. There are two cables that attach to the carbs. The junction box for them is under the left side air scoop. I would start there.

There are 2 short cables about 10", attached to throttle. Recently I "unfreezed" one of them. 99% you have cable problem, 1% throttle axles (not likely).
Usually return cable goes bad, you can remove it and ride w/o, but it is dangerous. Oiling cables is maintenance procedure, almost nobody does it.

Probably not the issue since it happened on the fly but check the cable routing. It can get pinched. Try loosening the cable adjuster near throttle grip to see if it snaps back.

If a cable loses integrity, where the broken strands are rubbing on the cable sheath helix, it's gonna-be sticky. My experience is that cables usually wear at the point of attachment where the ends are fastened. I would check there, so you have 8 points as there are two upper cables and two lower cables.

A pinched cable casing can cause stickiness, where the metal helix lumen (opening) is crushed onto the cable. The back of the service manual has cable routing instructions, and it's on here. http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Throttle cables need slack to operate without drag. You can prove this yourself by removing the slack, and experiencing the lack of the throttle to snap-shut. Introduce some slack, and the cable returns to normal function.

I use a clamp-on cable lube tool, into which you place a red lubricant wand, to shoot your favorite lubricant from a spray can. I'm partial to WD-40, but use your favorite snake-oil. I bet it's 40 years old, and it still works fine.

Last edited:
If a cable loses integrity, where the broken strands are rubbing on the cable sheath helix, it's gonna-be sticky. My experience is that cables usually wear at the point of attachment where the ends are fastened. I would check there, so you have 8 points as there are two upper cables and two lower cables.

A pinched cable casing can cause stickiness, where the metal helix lumen (opening) is crushed onto the cable. The back of the service manual has cable routing instructions, and it's on here. http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Throttle cables need slack to operate without drag. You can prove this yourself by removing the slack, and experiencing the lack of the throttle to snap-shut. Introduce some slack, and the cable returns to normal function.

I use a clamp-on cable lube tool, into which you place a red lubricant wand, to shoot your favorite lubricant from a spray can. I'm partial to WD-40, but use your favorite snake-oil. I bet it's 40 years old, and it still works fine.

Agree100% on the cable luber make it religion 1 time a year

Check the throttle handle is not binding against the switch module.

Check the throttle handle is not binding against the switch module.
That's why many grips come with a slippery, thin nylon sleeve to eliminate friction between the grip cushion and the switch pod.

That's why many grips come with a slippery, thin nylon sleeve to eliminate friction between the grip cushion and the switch pod.
The idiots that built my bike cut the grip off horribly so it has NO CHANCE of ever doing that. (Seriously. It was butchered.) It's one of the reasons I wanted a new pair of grips but never found anything I liked.

Edit to add image:

20210818_144601.jpg

Seriously. Look at the size of the gap. No chance that binds up.

The idiots that built my bike cut the grip off horribly so it has NO CHANCE of ever doing that. (Seriously. It was butchered.) It's one of the reasons I wanted a new pair of grips but never found anything I liked.

Edit to add image:

View attachment 79114

Seriously. Look at the size of the gap. No chance that binds up.
Somehow that picture of your handgrip reminds me of David Letterman.

dave letterman.jpg

I envy your bright red button, do you not ride it in the sun? (
Mine has horribly faded to pink)

Latest posts

Back