Sticky Clutch Problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkunert

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 two years ago with 750 miles. The clutch has always held onto gear when warm, and has been difficult to shift into neutral. Over the winter, I had a bike shop take a look at it, and they found 5 of the clutch plates stuck together. They separated them and soaked them in oil overnight, and put it back together. I just rode it for the first time this season, and it seems worse than ever. It's holding onto gears even when it's cold. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?

How old is the clutch fluid? Have you tried bleeding? Is the shift lever in proper adjustment?

Fluid is new synthetic. I've bled it properly. Not sure how to adjust a lever on a hydraulic clutch.

I was talking the shift pedal. If it's too low....it binds.

There's a diagram in the service manual that shows where the shifter should be. Easiest thing would be to adjust so that it's just below your foot when on the peg.

Mark

Pump the clutch 3 or 4 times before starting it .

I do this everytime when its cold.

Do you mean that it creeps ahead while in gear when you are starting it or first trying to leave in gear?

This is normal. Pump the clutch first. 20/40 is thick sticky oil.

There's a diagram in the service manual that shows where the shifter should be. Easiest thing would be to adjust so that it's just below your foot when on the peg.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Latest posts

Back