Stiff Rear Suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nacra6

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum but glad to join.

I own an 2009 1700 VMAX which I love and have been riding bikes for some 32 years now. Unfortunately I have a problem with the VMAX, the rear suspension is extremely stiff to the extent that the riding is very unpleasant. To give you an idea, it is stiffer than a BMW S1000RR. I have adjusted the two controls at each side of the bike from fully released to fully compressed (four positions in total) but over-all the stiffness remains. I do not know whether this is how the bike is meant to be, though I can?t believe it. While this is a heavy motorcycle, other motorcycles (such as the BMW K1600GT) is much softer. The swing arm seems to move freely and there is no evidence of mechanical failure.

have you heard of this before? what can I do? Are you aware of an after market replacement suspension for the VMAX? Would you recommend someone who can repair this around greater London?

Thank you

There are 3 adjustments on the rear shock of the gen 2 bikes. Maybe you are overlooking one of them?

I feel your pain about the stiff suspension. I've about had it with the ride and all I got from Yamaha USA was 'Well we've haven't about this one before'.

I put together a chart while riding to make certain adjustments using the same roads. Nothing really changes - some - but not even close enough to change the ride characteristics of the Gen II.

The front end pogos on hard ridden - not so smooth curves. And will fight your grip on rough California freeways. Trust me, I've done all three adjustments in all combinations and flipped the procedures.

The rear end just flat out beats the hell out of me. Same as the front for all of the adjustments.

Am I alone with this problem? Steve

Hi,

You are not alone, the rear suspension on the 2009 Vmax is very stiff. In fact I replaced it as I thought the unit failed, and guess what, it still is very stiff. Unless I can find a solution I will, reluctantly, move to something softer.

Cheers

Nacra6 & OT10_279,
Welcome to the VMF. Since your questions on issues with the stiff rear suspension on the Gen2's got posted in the suspension section with no mention of Gen2 or 09 in the title, many of the Gen2 owners may have missed it / couldn't provide any comments / suggestions for you.

Suggest you repost your questions on the Gen2 Tech section of this forum, where many Gen2 owners pop-in or visit the StarVMax site where this topic I'm sure has been discussed.

Stop back and let us know what you find out.

Cheers !

Back