still amazes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the OEM switch, the thermocouple goes-bad, a simple toggle switch allows you to run the fan.
And if you're not paying attention and forget to flip it on you burn your bike up.

Not worth the 40 dollars to risk the entire engine hoping my memory doesn't fail me.

And if you're not paying attention and forget to flip it on you burn your bike up.

Not worth the 40 dollars to risk the entire engine hoping my memory doesn't fail me.
You could forget, sure, but don't you scan your instruments? It's one of those things you-do, because you care-about your ride.

What's $40? (88) thermostat | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)
Includes discussion of thermosensor, thermostat, and radiator cap, all available with a trip to your local auto parts house.

The sending unit assembly from Yamaha, which is about the only thing that can go wrong with it. I don't need to read an entire discussion on the topic to say that installing a switch that relies on human interaction rather than replacing a sensor that does it automatically is a bad idea.
I didn't see any comment saying replacing the OEM component with the same thing was a bad idea.

Many members are willing to save a buck when $ are tight. Wiring-in a switch to get on the road again, and the difference in price covers a tank of gas in that old V8 truck, might mean the bike stays on the road, and the member gets-to work. The thread was also for other common replacements which could sideline a guy because he cannot afford to pay OEM prices at that point in-time. The thermostat and radiator cap are important items for reliable operation, as a bike gets older. I've also mentioned an inexpensive and readily-available 'work-around' for that OEM molded U-shaped gas line on-top of the tank, instead of waiting for an order to arrive at the dealer, or in the USPS. Many of us have found ways to continue to ride by making safe, effective flying-fixes to stay on the bike, and the road. I'll always be grateful for someone who takes the time to-share a way to overcome a mechanical problem, inexpensively and easily.

Back