still amazes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16790

Reaction score
a couple of days ago I took my bike out for a ride, and every time it makes me smile even though I can't fully open it up,
this time though after getting stuck behind some cars on a narrow winding road for a while and getting frustrated, I finally got a chance to get past and once back on my side of the road I gave it what I could with my limited wrist movement (a bit over half throttle) but I added in a bit of elbow drop to enable a bit more throttle twist just as v-boost started, this must've coincided with a bump in the road because at 80mph the front wheel went airborne and it felt fantastic, ok it was not a high wheelie, maybe a foot or so but it is the fastest ever involuntary wheelie I've ever done,
I love this bike :cool:

It sounds like fun but beware of penalties you could incur if observed and ticketed by a LEO.

If you're convicted for wheelies in Florida, you could lose your license. Be careful. The second time is a $1,000-$3,000 fine besides loss of license. Third time is loss of license and up-to $5,000 fine. Impoundment of the vehicle and a punitive $ penalty is allowed. Confiscation and forfeiture of the vehicle used is allowed if the violator has previously been convicted of an exhibition of speed in the prior 5 years.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.191.html
Florida Statutes
Title XXIII Motor Vehicles
Chapter 316 Uniform Traffic Control
316.191 Racing on Highways

For whatever reason my hooligan shenanigans as I've "matured" have seemed to go unnoticed by LEO. Boy howdy That was not the case in my younger days. I was forever trying to figure out how I was going to keep up my license or afford the latest ticket or court cost. Maybe I am just luckier now?

Make no mistake I still play Hooligan regularly. I'm just more discrete about it, and probably do it quite a bit less than I did when I was in my 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s. Sheesh. Time flies.

Glad you are enjoying that fine machine Julian.

With my getting older and what's left of my body I tend to take it easy. I still get on it on an on ramp or if there's a long straightaway out in the middle of nowhere for a few seconds, but that's about it.

For me it's just nice knowing that I have more power than I know what to do with if I need it.

In the words of my friend John, "It's got the balls if you do."

I'm in the UK and our police do not look kindly at such things, but I was on a country road with good visibility ahead and only going for the acceleration, the wheelie was involuntary and will likely never happen again, I use acceleration in short bursts and I've only ever taken it up to 115mph, my normal riding speed is usually around 65-70mph and enjoy the scenery,
years ago I had a HONDA XR600 in supermoto trim and it was just too easy to wheelie and in the end I sold it before I lost my licence,
hopefully today I will be riding to the coast with my son on his TRIUMPH DAYTONA 955 and my friend on his YAMAHA BT1100 BULLDOG, as long as no rain is forecast :)

I'm in the UK and our police do not look kindly at such things, but I was on a country road with good visibility ahead and only going for the acceleration, the wheelie was involuntary and will likely never happen again, I use acceleration in short bursts and I've only ever taken it up to 115mph, my normal riding speed is usually around 65-70mph and enjoy the scenery,
years ago I had a HONDA XR600 in supermoto trim and it was just too easy to wheelie and in the end I sold it before I lost my licence,
hopefully today I will be riding to the coast with my son on his TRIUMPH DAYTONA 955 and my friend on his YAMAHA BT1100 BULLDOG, as long as no rain is forecast :)

C'mon, you don't kiss the Prom Queen once!

Like you said, in the proper place and at the proper time, with the acknowledgement that a view of your 'exhibition of speed' may cost you dearly, have at-it. Yes a deserted road in the countryside is probably a likely place to stretch the throttle cable. You don't have-to run 10 miles in 5th gear, getting into 4th gear towards redline after running it up through the first three, will get you into triple-digits, even third gear should. Power wheelies are common on a 1st to redline/quick shift to 2nd. Any rise in the road surface, and a handful of throttle may result in the front wheel continuing the lift-off as you crest the rise. Just don't chop-off the throttle, that's how the steering head gets brinelling in the bearing races, because of the sudden, hard impact from such behavior, when the front-end of the bike slams-down. A gradual roll-off of the throttle, and the front end should easily return to pavement.

Is your destination Brighton? I think that's a coastal destination for the U.K. bikers, about-which I've read. Have a safe trip.

it's unlikely I'll ever do a voluntary wheelie on this bike, too much respect for it for that, I used to wheelie a lot on previous bikes when I was younger but now having limited wrist movement would not allow me the control I once had, I understand about pain and repair costs these days ;)

we went to a place called Lepe, just past a trip through the New Forrest, too busy to get a decent picture but took one anyway, we parked in a 'closed' coach parking area and soon other bikes started to park too

DSC03176.JPG

Yeah, the accidental wheelie can be unnerving. I’ve had it happen plenty of times on various bikes. You plan for and expect wheel spin and, instead, the tire bites and you’re looking at sky...

Not a big deal if they’re intentional, but surprises can be underwear-stain-inducers.

I had an accidental wheelie on my speed triple early in ownership, I respect it a bit more now, most of the time....
The only time I ever had that happen was when I was two up. A buddies bike had crapped out and I was giving him a ride home. I had to that point and since never had anybody on the back of my Vmax.

It was AMAZING how easy the front end came up. I was in 2nd gear accelerating and right up it came. Shocked and scared the hell out of me.

The only time I ever had that happen was when I was two up. A buddies bike had crapped out and I was giving him a ride home. I had to that point and since never had anybody on the back of my Vmax.

It was AMAZING how easy the front end came up. I was in 2nd gear accelerating and right up it came. Shocked and scared the hell out of me.
I'll bet your passenger had some brown in their pants as well! My speed triple wanted to pop the wheel up all the time with the stock exhaust, it was very heavy and mounted up under the passenger seat up high. I went to a low mount GP style exhaust and she still rips around, but the front doesn't jump up like it used to.

Wheelies and burnouts are why we ride a vmax.
It's a hot rod.
I just bought my first VMax today, and I didn't get too wild on it, but it was fun how much it liked to sit down and back when you get on it in second and third. I'm already falling in love with this bike!

I just bought my first VMax today, and I didn't get too wild on it, but it was fun how much it liked to sit down and back when you get on it in second and third. I'm already falling in love with this bike!
Are you in northern CA?

What year? What's been-done to it?

I'm in the east SF bay area. It's mostly stock, less than 15k miles. Led headlights and signals, fan switch installed. Stock exhaust was drilled then tapped and plugged. Other than that just a really clean bike that came with every scrap of paperwork ever associated with the bike. It's a 1998. Based on the paperwork it's been in the Bay area it's whole life and has been well cared for.

Latest posts

Back