Stock Exhaust Pic (Internals)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the internals of the stock muffler. I can probably get a pic of the stock front head pipes if I remember to get one. I can tell you that you are getting your moneys worth on them. It took about 2 hours getting the one side apart.

Sean

Attachments

• Stock Muffler.jpg
    Stock Muffler.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 562
Here's a pic of the internals of the stock muffler. I can probably get a pic of the stock front head pipes if I remember to get one. I can tell you that you are getting your moneys worth on them. It took about 2 hours getting the one side apart.

Sean

Hence the reason their SOOO damn quiet! :bang head: Thanks for tearing into them. Nice to see why they're so darn heavy too.

A plasma cutter would of made short order of them...

Let me know if you need one...:biglaugh:

I think I could possibly gut one without cutting it open but it would take a lot of work. There are a number of spot welds and then the end of the muffler is crimped over and the inner core is welded too.

I am building a custom exhaust for the 1500 and we'll see how it turns out.

Sean

I gutted (mostly) my old one by cutting a circle all the way around the end of the pipe as close as a could get to the chrome edge. Then took a pry bar/crow bar and jammed down in the silencer and worked/wiggled it around in a circle till a could yank the silencer out. you can then use a die grinder to smooth out the edges and give it a finished look.

After the silencer is out all that's left is that "gattling gun" looking baffle thing you see in Seans' pictures.

For dealing with that baffle I used a 3/8 bit about 2 feet long (hard to find) and started drilling the hell out of it till there was virtually nothing left of it; there were so many holes in it that I don't think there was any effective resistence there at all.

It sounded pretty damn good I thought, not too raspy really, and for sure loud as hell......

More pics. I identified what I could. Note the size of the stock outer compared to the rest. The aftermarkets are all about the same size tube and just a tad larger then the stock inner. Note: good eyes will see which size I am using to fab up the new header for the 1500!

Sean

Attachments

• ExhaustPipeComparison.jpg
    ExhaustPipeComparison.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 239
  • ExhaustPipeComparison2.jpg
    ExhaustPipeComparison2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 229
That's one way to do it... Cut it up remove the inner and use the outer for the new LARGE motor!

I just hope you have it chromed before the 22nd...

Won't be chromed by then. Probably wait and have it hot coated over the winter break. BBQ paint till then!

For dealing with that baffle I used a 3/8 bit about 2 feet long (hard to find) and started drilling the hell out of it till there was virtually nothing left of it; there were so many holes in it that I don't think there was any effective resistence there at all.

It sounded pretty damn good I thought, not too raspy really, and for sure loud as hell......

I just bought my first Max on Wednesday and it had the caps taken out of the stock exhaust but the gatling gun was still there and intact. The bike has a nice louder sound to it, but not nearly loud enough. If I drill out the shit in the gatling gun part, a rejet shouldn't be necessary, right?

No rejet should be needed but if anything you may need to go smaller by one size on the main.

Sean

Hello Sean,

Sorry for reviving such an ancient thread.

I'm a new member and I live in the Netherlands.

Recently I bought a 1999 Vmax with Doma mufflers installed. I like the sound way more than stock.
However the stock mufflers look so good on the Vmax, they make the lines perfect with the chromed front pipes, making it all look so organic.

Also the Domas don't have the rear pipes connected to improve scavenging, some even claim power loss when going from stock to aftermarket mufflers. Must be partly because of the missing H pipe on the rear mufflers.
Anyhow, I would love the rear cylinders to run as they were intended.
I could weld a small pipe roughly in the same spot as the front pipes, I measured where they should be. But still I don't like the look of the Doma slip-ons.

So my plan is to gut the stock muffler, keeping the stock rear H pipes within, and from there make a free flowing muffler with some perforated pipe and absorption material and perhaps keep the end open for a custom OEM+ look.

The problem is that it seems to be a tedious job without ruining the chrome, I would love to keep it untouched because it fits with the whole look of the bike.

Were the pipes in the collector any how connected to the baffles? Welded on? Or are they only spot welded to the outside plates?

If I somehow ruin the chrome, how can I get it rechromed? Will those chrome spray paints work?

Do you have any more pictures of this gutting job?

Looking forward to getting some more insight from you.

Somehow I've overlooked this thread, I like the inner view. I don't think I have any need to remove the Gatling-gun pieces. I actually like the OEM sound. Drilling out the end of megaphone rivets and drilling some large-dia. holes in the end-plate beneath it, and then re-installing the end-plate is a tasteful mod I've had on one or another bike I've had.

No the chrome paint isn't going to make it appear chrome. Rechrome prices here in south Florida I've found to be expensive. I'd do a Jet Hot coating. That on-top of chrome isn't likely going to survive well. I believe you need to remove the chrome, and then do the Jet Hot. None of that I expect is cheap.

Plating can be redone but it's very expensive for pipes and stock mufflers. The main restriction is not the muffler but the pipe work itself so don't expect anything for gains until you replace the front/rear pipes.

The aftermarket slip-on mufflers have the same diameter as the stock front pipes, I believe they will flow well enough for what I'm after.

Also I am not after gains because evidently the stock pipes flow quite well because of original Yamaha engineering. The 145 hp rating is with the stock pipes so that says something.

All I'm after is some more information on how the stock muffler is built so I know how to disassemble the inner workings to make it a flow-through muffler.

There are tons of videos of guys drilling the rivets out etc etc.
But there is hardly no information about emptying the stock muffler/baffles, so that's the information I'm mostly after.

The aftermarket slip-on mufflers have the same diameter as the stock front pipes, I believe they will flow well enough for what I'm after.

Also I am not after gains because evidently the stock pipes flow quite well because of original Yamaha engineering. The 145 hp rating is with the stock pipes so that says something.

All I'm after is some more information on how the stock muffler is built so I know how to disassemble the inner workings to make it a flow-through muffler.

There are tons of videos of guys drilling the rivets out etc etc.
But there is hardly no information about emptying the stock muffler/baffles, so that's the information I'm mostly after.
Just remove the end cap, and use hole saws with an extension bit to remove whatever you encounter. Splash the raw metal with VHT or similar, and ride LOUD.

This is how you can modify the stock silencers.

Hmm... Does drilling make it a free flowing exhaust though?
It sure doesn't sound bad on YouTube, but I wonder if it will sound good in real life and I won't ruin the mufflers...

It sure doesn't sound bad on YouTube, but I wonder if it will sound good in real life and I won't ruin the mufflers...

'FraidI can't help you there...but there is one way to find out.

A friend of mine did that to his '05. I thought it sounded like crap. It didn't seem to hurt it's performance at all, but it sounded like a muffler with a hole in it.

No surprise there though.

IMG_20210719_142749956.jpg
I've managed to get all the baffles and inner workings out, so now it's empty but way too loud to ride on the street. Plus my head just starts to hurt even after a few minutes.

All I need to wait for is when this shop will have an air grinder with a longer neck back in stock so I could grind out the deeper sharp edges smooth so I could insert some cone and a perforated pipe and damping wool and make it a free flowing proper muffler while retaining the stock looks. My current grinder can't reach as deep unfortunately. No pun intended.

I must say the Vmax looks so good with those aggressive fat upward and outward exhaust mufflers. No other aftermarket pipe can match the looks of that imho.

The progress is slow, but I am progressing :)
At least I don't have to disassemble and reweld anything.

All I used was a 84mm hole saw and some sharp crowbar with a sledgehammer and some pliers to yank that shit out.

Latest posts

Back