STOck Exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rf900flyer

Reaction score
the V i just bought has stock exhaust. A former owner drilled out the rivets and did something , remove/drill out baffles., and then reriveted it to look stock. It's cool for the 1st mi but after going out for 50 ....I don't wanna hear it coming back and would prefer to bring it to stock sounding. Any suggestions? I have the Vic for loudness,,,,the V sounds like an ak-47
If I srill out the rivets will it all come apart or does it screw together in some fashion? Is there an area I can pack w/ glass . etc.
:ummm:

Stock exhaust cans are common-enough. Buy one and replace yours. Try to fix something that you don't know what it is, you're just guessing. Go-ahead & look w/it opened, tell us what you see. Or, just replace 'em w/Supertrapps, which should be about $200 +- used, or $400 new. CaptainKyle and Sean Morley often have used ones, and can order new ones.

I have purchased two stock muffler assemblies off ebay with no problems. Both were in excellent condition. Just be sure to ask questions about defects, etc and check the sellers feedback.

If the PO just drilled some holes in the the rear plate you can have them welded closed. If he drilled out the internal plate about a foot down the center hole there is no easy fix. The plate riveted on is easy to remove and replace if you have a rivet gun. Just drill out the rivets. There are no screws, etc, just rivets.

The gaskets are a little expensive so if you can fix without removing the mufflers it would be a good idea. The mufflers are very hard to reinstall!!

thanks,,the outside end looks factory.....so something was drilled out deep inside
the reinstall being a PIA must be due to the heating /cooling etc,,,new parts in an old fitment situation,,,,almost like conduit work sometimes...
It's pretty neat to trigger the car alarms,,,,lol..

The outside plate would look stock as it is removed and the holes are drilled in the end of the muffler itself. Then the outer plate is re-riveted on. The part that is drilled can be drilled several ways to customize the sound. You can start with a few small holes and drill more and/or drill them larger till you get the sound you want. In your case, you can drill out the rivets, take a pic of the end and post it for comments. You can shine a flashlight down the center hole and see the plate about a foot in. If there is no solid plate inside, it has been drilled out. Or it may just have a hole depending on the size of the drill bit used.

Others have tried either or both in attempts to get a better sound that is not too loud like most aftermarket setups. I have been thinking about trying that as I do not like loud pipes, unlike most on this site... :rofl_200:

I have tried Supertrapps, Kerker and Jardine slip-ons and the Jardines weren't too loud but the others were in my opinion. Didn't like the Jardine sound though. In my group Kerker, Hindle, Dale Walker systems are in use and all are way too loud for me. Have never heard a Mark's system though. Depends on what you are looking for.

""""Depends on what you are looking for."""
My Victory gets louder from 70+ and my RF900 is practically silent @ 70+,mostly wind....
quieter is better for me,,,I'll look for a used muffler ,,,thanks

When I did this mod to my stock exhaust a few years ago, I drilled out the rivets and pulled the rear plate, drilled holes in the back baffle, and re-riveted the back plate using some nuts as spacers to allow the extra noise out. If I had just riveted the back plate back on tight to the baffle as it was originally, I imagine it would have been darn close to stock sounding again... This would probably be the easiest to do if your exhaust was modded like mine.

However, I will say that the my exhaust did not get that much louder... a bit more growl at small throttle angles but I don't know that i noticed it being louder cruising. So, yours may have had the 'ol mufflerectomy done to it.

Ear Plugs for longer rides. Enjoy the sound on short rides.:confused2::rofl_200:

Load Pipes Do Save Lives!!!!!!!!!!
SkullDuggery's Exhaust Irritates the cages beside and behind me but they know I'm there.

Back