Stock Fan?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greimers

Reaction score
I was told by the previous owner that it had an aftermarket fan installed. It's wired direct to battery with a toggle switch. I found that in the fuse box there's a fan fuse that goes to the thermostat. So I'm guessing the fan is in fact factory but was just wired to a manual switch.

Is this a common mod? I'm tempted to put it back with the toggle as an override. I'd also like to pull power from the fuse box so that it's after ignition only.

Yes common mod, v max's tend to run hot in traffic and such so some guys like to be able to turn the fan on manually, you can buy a lower temp switch and do away with the manual switch also, if you want

I was told by the previous owner that it had an aftermarket fan installed. It's wired direct to battery with a toggle switch. I found that in the fuse box there's a fan fuse that goes to the thermostat. So I'm guessing the fan is in fact factory but was just wired to a manual switch.

Is this a common mod? I'm tempted to put it back with the toggle as an override. I'd also like to pull power from the fuse box so that it's after ignition only.

A manual override is a VERY common mod on the Max. Many owners (including me) are "uncomfortable" when the needle on the temp gauge creeps into the red zone. This happens primarily in hot weather, when the bike is in stop and go traffic situations. Flicking on the override switch brings the needle down to the "comfort" zone.
Yes, you should configure the fan wiring back to stock. You will then have the fan operation controlled by the thermostat, AND have the added protection of a fused circuit. Then you can add an overirde switch, simply by splicing into the blue and brown wires (both positive) on each side of the thermo switch, which is located behind the right hand scoop.
The switch will not effect the operation of the thermo switch - the fan will still operate as designed.
Cheers!

Back