Stock Front brake master cyl rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beekeeper

Reaction score
Just got the rebuild kit in the mail today........Thanks Sean!..........Is this a straight foreward job? any tips/tricks I need to know? I'm a fairly competant mechanic, just have never done one of these before...............Thanks...........Tom.

There isn't all that much to it. Probably get it off the bike though the bar does work to hold it for you. Hardest part is getting to the snap ring holding the plunger in. I have a special pair but you might be able to find a set locally if your tools won't fit down in there.

Sean

I reshaped a long skinny surgical clamp to grab the clip and R&R it.

Attachments

• clipart_b.jpg
    clipart_b.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16
Pull the old parts out slowly and take note of the order. Use Qtips to clean the corners and inside the cylinder well, blow out all lint before rebuild and make sure the snap ring is seated in the groove.

This is something I think I need to do as well, I lose pressure while holding the lever in. It seems if I turn the bars to the right and pump it up it comes back. So Sean if you see this just send me a rebuild kit if you sell them or I'll email you. I'm losing fluid as well. Ed

Thanks everyone!..............I've got a decent set of snap ring pliars, hopefully one of them can do the job, if not I'm pretty sure I still have a surgical clamp lying around that I can modify...........................Tom.

I have a set of crappy snap ring pliers (the type that has multiple tips, that are held/ clamped in by a crappy set screw design) and they work ok. It is pretty straight forward just make sure everything is clean as your reinstalling and you should be GTG.

Something I do whenever I face a task like this is to re-evaluate the entire brake system, at the very least you should completely flush the system. I disassemble the brake lines and blow compressed air thru the lines to evaluate the flow of fluid. I have had collapsed or partially-collapsed brake lines on various vehicles over the years, and once when I bought aftermarket pads for my VMax in the 1990's, I had a set of pads which were fractionally too-thick for the caliper, the pads went in OK, and the wheel mounted, but the brake dragged. I disassembled the caliper, cleaned everything, blew-out the lines, used new fluid, and still had the problem; disassembled the caliper again, disassembled the master cyl to see if it was hanging-up (nope!) and finally decided to mike the pads. About 15 seconds of contact for total exposure to my belt sander & 120 grit solved that. Things happen.

I use my Dremel & a brass bristle brush sometimes to remove crud from the crevices if it's dirty to that extent, then a needle to make sure the small pinhole is open & unobstructed. Brake cleaner w/a wand nozzle attachment is good & I use that for the hoses, you can use it into the hose fitting of the banjos. A good air-dry w/compressed air, & time to reassemble! Don't forget to use some brake fluid on the piston seal & in the bore when reassembling! I pre fill the calipers w/fluid & position the handlebars at opposite side lock to which the master cyl is on, to have the master cyl @ it's highest point for the air bubbles to migrate up as you pump the handle. As long as you see those tiny bubbles streaming out the chamber holes, there is more air in there, so keep pumping. I have a Mity Vac & use that to bleed as well, but the final lever pumping still has to be done.

Back