Stock jetting the same from 85-07?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rags260z

Reaction score
I have a question about jetting that I can't seem to find the answer for. On a US 49 state model, is the jetting the same from 85-07?

This is what I can find on jetting
Main Jet 152.5
PAJ1 90
PAJ2 170
Pilot Jet 37.5

Just want to make sure it is the same for all years.

I'm trying to put a modified bike back to stock.

Joe

Yep.....it's the same. Now with that being said....the van is a bit rich from the factory....you could go to 150 mains......and pick up some hp.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I don't think they were. I was told, many moons ago, that the 85's were different than all subsequent years, due to EPA regs in affect at the time. As the story I was told goes, the tail pipes changed ever so slightly for more restriction, and therefore, Yamaha tweeked the carbs & maybe the Vboost tube size to match and still wring out approx. the same HP #'s.

It's been discussed here before.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16719

Not the same, the last Max have PAJ1 100, remove it for 90 and the PAJ2 170 remove for 150, try to found needles 5EZ44 you have after this job a difterie Max.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443641851.485419.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443641851.485419.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Not the same, the last Max have PAJ1 100, remove it for 90 and the PAJ2 170 remove for 150, try to found needles 5EZ44 you after this job a difterie Max.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

PAJ#1....is 90 for the 49 US model Vmax. The California model had the PAJ#1 100. PAJ#1 only affects idle.

Swapping PAJ#2 from a 170 to a 150 is a dynojet recommendation on their stage 1 kits. It will richen you up from just off idle to upper rpm.

Here is a chart the Dman999 posted that will show the differences between the various Vmax. In the first owners manual it WAS SAID that the front 2 carbs had 150's in them....instead of 152's all the way around. Sean has said.....and others as well, that in ALL of the carbs taken off of 85's....none ever had 150's. The owners manuals for the other years all say 152 for the jetting.

Here is from the cycle pedia manual.

Now Jims right.....there are OTHER differences between the 85's and on up. Just the jetting stayed the same.....atleast from the Cali vs 49 sate bikes.

Attachments

• Vmax-Full-Power-Guide-Chart-2.jpg
    Vmax-Full-Power-Guide-Chart-2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 4116.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 5
  • California PAJ#1.jpg
    California PAJ#1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 19
Thought the rear cylinders on 85s had 150 mains and fronts 152.5. Maybe that's a myth?

Just the opposite Mike....according to Haynes
-'85 - '87 rear cylinders - #152.5, front cylinders - #150

Also heard all the '07's and maybe '06's as well were set up like Cali. carbs and ran #100 PAJ1's with a canister spigot off #2 carb.

Eric, is this how your bike was set up?

One thing that has proven, time & time again, over the years is that the 85 red models remain the fastest Gen 1's EVER! .....just sayin....:biglaugh:

Also heard all the '07's and maybe '06's as well were set up like Cali. carbs and ran #100 PAJ1's with a canister spigot off #2 carb.

Well I have the spigot coming off of carb 2 for the canister....but still had the 49 state jetting. I've got 90's in paj1.

My '85 from cali with spigot had 100 paj and 152.5 mains all around-Bought it with very low miles and carbs had never been opened before.

Attachments

• CIMG0923.jpg
    CIMG0923.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19

Not sure I get that I would think the rear cylinders would run hotter which should make them run leaner. :ummm:

Dave

Hotter makes a rich condition worse

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Exactly that's why I would of thought the jets would of been the other way around.

Dave
Dave, I think Yamaha's thought was richer would help cylinders to run a bit cooler. Similar to a 2 stroke by having mixture with more oil. IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I was close :biglaugh:

My '06 carbs did not have the spigot and jetting was the same as the older 49 state carbs.

Dave, I think Yamaha's thought was richer would help cylinders to run a bit cooler. Similar to a 2 stroke by having mixture with more oil. IMO.
Honda V65's have larger jets in the 2 rear cylinders also because they run hotter.

I use a temp gun at idle to get all of the exhaust gas temps the same. The 2 rear cylinders are 1/2 a turn out more than the fronts.

Latest posts

Back