Stock Rear Shock Disassembly

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOM88

Reaction score
I'm trying to black out a majority of my max and its been a long process and one of the last pieces are the rear shocks. I don't mind the stock feel but I do mind the chrome and slight rust. I thought if I could disassemble the rear shocks it would be easier to paint/powder coat the parts i needed to get the look I wanted. This would be a lot cheeper than purchasing a new/used set of black progressives. This thread is the disassembly portion, but once I paint everything I will post the reassembly...

Tools needed....

Big vice
Cresent wrench
pipe clamps and some angle iron or a small spring compressor
pick/small needle pliers

Step 1: Push down on the damper adjustment to find the retaining ring/snap ring and use a pick or needle pliers to remove....

DSCN5593copy_zps41482162.jpg

DSCN5594copy_zps3bec323a.jpg

Step 2: Start removing the pieces one by one... Damper adjustment(chrome cover) then the large rubber washer

DSCN5595copy_zpsa569b4e7.jpg

DSCN5596copy_zps5acc777b.jpg

Step 3: Watch out for the small springs... under those are little steel balls

DSCN5598copy_zps6ecbc929.jpg

DSCN5599copy_zps5e5fea45.jpg

DSCN5600copy_zpsfb1e22f8.jpg

Step 4: You will notice a notch in the (i'm calling it a spring retaining plate) this is how that part will slide out.

DSCN5601copy_zpsb5d35eb0.jpg

****side note: This is the gearing for the damper adjustment. If you move the black gear you will hear clicks each click is a different setting 1-4. Keep in mind when everything goes back together you install the chrome cover at the 4 position. So prior to installing that cover you will set this gear to the hardest setting then put the chrome cover on. This will have to be done prior to installing the spring so you can check the resistance of each setting to determine the 4 position. Each setting is very distinctive sort of like the shindy steering damper adjustments if you have a steering stabilizer.

DSCN5602copy_zps173fc108.jpg

Step 5: Now its time to compress the spring, I made up this really dangerous spring compressor that I don't recommend but I managed to come out alive... I know Harbor Freight sells a small compressor that might work, or if your handy you can weld up something that will work and is safer. For reinstallation, I may come up with something a little easier so I don't damage any parts.

DSCN5604copy_zpsc5ebad1f.jpg

Step 6: Slowly crank down on the clamps to compress the spring enough to remove the "spring retainer plate"

DSCN5605copy_zpsbc10365e.jpg

DSCN5606copy_zpsf5f6c71d.jpg

Step 7: Remove the washer and loosen the clamps...

DSCN5607copy_zps40af1c1d.jpg

DSCN5608copy_zps9182cc13.jpg

Step 8: relax go drink a beer....

Step 9: Remove spring... if you just needed to PC/paint the spring then this is really where the adventure ends no need to go any further. If your like me and wanted to get down to the removal of the rubber bumper then keep scrolling

DSCN5609copy_zpsd1954bbc.jpg

Step 10: Pull the Preload adjuster up and off of the shock be careful not to damage the black plastic gear as you do it.

DSCN5610copy_zps8cfa5fe1.jpg

Step 11: Slide the preload "steps" up to expose the cover plates, those to pieces just fall right off as they are being held together by the step piece

DSCN5611copy_zpsef997e74.jpg

Step 12: There is a nut that holds the top mount at a certain distance. Basically the damper gears will not turn properly if the mount is threaded on the inner shock stanchion to far and its easy to tell if you have tightened to much... all of this is good info for reassembly

DSCN5612copy_zps5782b9eb.jpg

Step 13: Clamp the Mount in a vice and loosen the bolt in the direction of the bottom of the shock until the thread stops, at this point the entire lower end of the shock will start spinning and the upper mount will loosen up

***Side note: I don't know if the top pieces in the second picture can pull out if your feeling daring you can try but I didn't see a reason to

DSCN5614copy_zpsa0eb485c.jpg

DSCN5615copy_zps7642dc63.jpg

Step 14: Now its time to clamp the inner shock stanchion between to pieces of wood so you can loosen the nut off of the shock.

DSCN5619copy_zpseea9bbeb.jpg

Step 15: You can now remove the pre load "steps" and the little rubber bumper

DSCN5616copy_zps9e6b83a2.jpg

DSCN5620copy_zpsb1fb1c69.jpg

Now heres my question for the readers..... My rubber bumpers are very worn and cracked, any suggestions for replacements? Im going to look around, hardware stores and whatnot to see if I can find a hard rubber piece that will fit. This part's only purpose is to keep the shock from bottoming out it seems.

DSCN5621copy_zps6de04a26.jpg

***side note: on the angle iron I used for the compressor, I cut a notch with a air cutter so that my clamps were more centered on the spring. The "C" clamp in the picture is holding the angle iron to the spring so it doesn't fly out and hit me in the face.... Once again, its dangerous I don't recommend it but it worked

Yes Danny, the rear OEMs.... it has been bugging me that mine are mostly chrome and I really didn't want to spend the extra cash on a black set

guess i shoulda left the spring compressors at the house bud!

Nice writeup! Figured there had to be a way to do it.

Here is my take on a shock spring compressor. Found all the parts at work. Only bit of fab I had to do was make the center hole in one of the plates a bit bigger.

I like it!!! way less dangerous haha. My brother and I disassembled those progressives shown in your picture and they come apart a little different than the OEM ones. With the OEM shocks you have to have an automotive type that just compresses the spring because you don't have the benefit of that top cap to push down on....

I like it!!! way less dangerous haha. My brother and I disassembled those progressives shown in your picture and they come apart a little different than the OEM ones. With the OEM shocks you have to have an automotive type that just compresses the spring because you don't have the benefit of that top cap to push down on....

yea, 3 sets of hands made it pretty easy, you me and dad i think.

There is always that option.... a couple friends to push down and one thats willing to stick his hands into that situation.

There is always that option.... a couple friends to push down and one thats willing to stick his hands into that situation.

i can always count on you to stick your hands into a situation.

Nice job Ben! :clapping: I'd always heard it couldn't be done....but, by gum, it can!! :punk:

Your spring compressor looks pretty trick to me....I used a vise, square shank screwdriver and a ratchet strap to do my Progressives!

I don't want to explain.....somebody'll try it and get their teeth knocked out, like I almost did! :blink000:

I didn't even like when I had to stop and take a picture lol I just wanted it out of there as quick as possible

Awesome thread mate, I've always wondered if/how these shocks could be dismantled, and you did a great job showing us how it's done!

We are not worthy! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

:hmmm: Maybe a :new_ani: Award may be in order..........the GREASE MONKEY AWARD, the grease monkey is a very close relitive to the MOD MONKEY,and while dedicated to the betterment of vmaxing world wide, the grease monkey uses ingenuity and a desire to learn to progress the sport of vmaxing where as the Modmokey would just as soon throw $$$$$ at ones desire to promote the sport and or enjoyment there of.:ummm:

Howcome you guys didn't know it was possible to dismantle the stock shocks? How do you think they assemble them? Haven't you seen stock shocks with different colored springs on them? They had to remove it in order to respray the springs. This is a good tutorial though. Should go to the How to guides section...

Howcome you guys didn't know it was possible to dismantle the stock shocks? How do you think they assemble them? Haven't you seen stock shocks with different colored springs on them? They had to remove it in order to respray the springs. This is a good tutorial though. Should go to the How to guides section...

i guess its just been perpetuated thru the forum, and most people never have a need to so took it as word. good idea on the how to tho.

Hey Weasel, I remember posting the question of whether these babies were "serviceable". My intent was just for a good cleaning and detailing. Some things are assembled at the factory with no intent or provisions for disassembly but I can't think of an example off hand. Maybe car shock absorbers? Anyhow, hats off for BOM for posting this up. I already made up my own compression contraption with a long lever handle that not only takes no effort to compress and hold the shock safely, but costs me nothing, and no welding required. I am gonna improve it and simplify it but will require a few simple welds. Be careful boys and girls!

I blame that wretched primate that quickly invades ones thought process shortly after joining VMF.

Actually, I can't recall ever seeing stock shocks with different colored springs....unless it just never registered what I was looking at. Which is possible! :punk:

But, as BB said, there have been questions about this over the years and the answer has always been....'can't be done.' :eusa_snooty:

Thanks guys!, I will have the assembly posting hopefully within the next few weeks, I also found a solution to the rubber bumper that is all cracked using a modified rubber stopper. May not be the best OEM type solution, but you'll never find that exact part short of dis-assembling stock vmax shocks until you find a decent one.

Back