Strange engravings on a 93 VMAX motor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspauldi1

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a neebie VMAX owner but I have been reading various posts\threads in this forum for about a month.

The VMAX that I bought is a 93 model which hadn't been started in about 3 years. The carbs were so gummed up to a point where the throttle could not be rotated. They have since been rebuilt (thanks to Dannymax with some parts help) and all of the rubber pieces replaced, even the carb boots to the intake manifold. The bike also suffered from the "bag of rocks" starter issue which is now fixed, flywheel removal was a bit interesting. The gas tank was rusted beyond repair and it has been replaced as well. I am now in the process of changing the starter, it's out, it's trashed, have new one to replaced..

The bike has 9K miles and the PO kept it in the garage and covered, so, cosmetically the bike is in good shape... while working on the bike I started to notice engravings on several different locations on the motor. I am going to try and attach photos and a description of placement.

1. located directly behind the starter motor. Looks like XFi 32
2 & 3. Right hand forward cylinder. Looks like 1R5
4. Right hand forward motor mount. Reads 76 6656
5. Left hand forward motor mount. engraving is the same as the one behind the starter motor. Looks like XFi 32
6. Left hand rear cylinder Looks like 1R4
7. Left hand side of the motor directly in front of the serial number. Reads 197 194, looks professionally done, even has epoxy applied over the numbers.

Any help with understanding these engravings will be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Attachments

• V__20E0.jpg
    V__20E0.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 79
  • WP_20140428_001.jpg
    WP_20140428_001.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 77
  • WP_20140428_002.jpg
    WP_20140428_002.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20140428_004.jpg
    WP_20140428_004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 103
  • WP_20140428_006 zoom.jpg
    WP_20140428_006 zoom.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20140428_008.jpg
    WP_20140428_008.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20140428_009.jpg
    WP_20140428_009.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 102
They are for calculating the various bearings and shims of the engine.

are these markings applied at the factory? Seems odd there would be so many. What does the symbol which looks like XFi 32 mean, it shows up behind the starter and on the left hand front motor mount.
Dannymax had commented on another post that the numbers infront of the motor serial number could possibly represent work that was done by PCW. Picture 7 shows the numbers.

if these markings are an indication of aftermarket rods and pistons (low compression)the next step would be to order a supercharger kit from Sean. I have a ZX-14 with turbo so it would be nice to build a carb supercharger setup

Looks like factory markings to me. PCW leaves nothing to guess on their markings!

if these markings are an indication of aftermarket rods and pistons (low compression)the next step would be to order a supercharger kit from Sean. I have a ZX-14 with turbo so it would be nice to build a carb supercharger setup

Holy cow I would like to see this!!! Post pictures when you can :) and dyno report. We have a former vmax owner customizedcreations.. his names todd he has a zx14 but still loves the vmax world. He drags alot

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sean, did u actually look at the photos ? some of the markings were done with a hand held engraver and not professional at all, except for atachment 7, this was a pro job. The others look like someone went crazy with engraver.

and yes, I do have a turbo Zx-14 and a stocker Suzuki bandit 1200 which was a rescued parts bike and brought back to life. Great work horse bike. I will post pictures tomorrow. Is there anything in particular u would like to see on the turbo bike?

Sean, did u actually look at the photos ? some of the markings were done with a hand held engraver and not professional at all, except for atachment 7, this was a pro job. The others look like someone went crazy with engraver.

and yes, I do have a turbo Zx-14 and a stocker Suzuki bandit 1200 which was a rescued parts bike and brought back to life. Great work horse bike. I will post pictures tomorrow. Is there anything in particular u would like to see on the turbo bike?

Im not gonna make you tear it apart but it all :). I had a 01 bandit 1200 with holeshot stage 2 jet kit, timing advance, exhaust, and i dont know what kind but aftermarket seat, and heli bars loved it. Sold it when I bought my dream bike the max. I just picked up a 03vfr 800 that im pumped about for dirt cheap just had to repaint it.

There are more numbers stamped on your crank & output shaft

Subtract the numbers on the crank from these and you get your main bearing thickness
attachment.php

And I believe these relate to your middle gear output shaft backlash
attachment.php

Not certain what the others are for but I'm assuming that as they are engraved on the head then they relate to your crankshafts?

Yes, I looked at the pics. 100% OEM markings. I've only seen a few engines so what do I know.

I'm sorry Sean, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. Some of the engravings look like something a 5 year old would have done. I would expect a higher quality from factory Yamaha.

Thank you! Do you have an engraving on the right hand motor mount as well? Mine has a 2nd charater which looks like "Fi". This is my first VMAX build so I am sure I'll have many more stupid questions.

I'm sorry Sean, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. Some of the engravings look like something a 5 year old would have done. I would expect a higher quality from factory Yamaha.

Japan may have sweat shops too

While we are the topic of motor engraving/stamps, what is the best way to check if the VIN and motor serial number are a match? I have a Texas title but it has the VIN only.

Thank you! Do you have an engraving on the right hand motor mount as well? Mine has a 2nd charater which looks like "Fi". This is my first VMAX build so I am sure I'll have many more stupid questions.

Yeah, balancing shaft I think - best bet is to get yourself a Haynes manual for some light reading, it keeps me up all hours of the morning :rofl_200:

While we are the topic of motor engraving/stamps, what is the best way to check if the VIN and motor serial number are a match? I have a Texas title but it has the VIN only.

Don't think so, below is my old motor's stamp - not much to match
DSCN0210.jpg

I was just being sarcastic lol. You are just anxious and sounds like a bit too hopeful. Keep in mind these aren't engravings by CNC. They are simple quick numbers put in while they do measurements before assembly. They make tons of these each day as cases go past on the assembly line so they aren't going to sit down and make them purdy.

Half the numbers are for actual bearing use and the rest are the Japanese guy that did the work that day.

Your last four of the vin are 3513 (or 4) from what I can see from your pics.

PCW uses a 4 digit numbering system and clearly engraves PCW into the lower engine case (typically around the back of the engine). The heads also have the number engraved. Examples attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20140323_095756_714.jpg
    IMG_20140323_095756_714.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20140323_100107_413.jpg
    IMG_20140323_100107_413.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 22
Back