strange "tick" noise from the right side

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adi.barda

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a 1999 vmax and recently I started to hear strange noises (ticks) especially on low speed second gear. I think it's from the right side and I want to ask if someone can guess what it can be? can it be from the clutch? or maybe the valves chain tensor?
I don't know if its related but when i'm on 1st or 2nd gear and pushing to high revs (7000 & up) the oil lamp blinks... I have enough oil.

thanks a lot,
Adi (vMax) Barda

Hi Guys,
I have a 1999 vmax and recently I started to hear strange noises (ticks) especially on low speed second gear. I think it's from the right side and I want to ask if someone can guess what it can be? can it be from the clutch? or maybe the valves chain tensor?
I don't know if its related but when i'm on 1st or 2nd gear and pushing to high revs (7000 & up) the oil lamp blinks... I have enough oil.

thanks a lot,
Adi (vMax) Barda

It's kinda hard to diagnose without actually hearing it. is it possible to post a video? It could be a number of things. The natural noise of the engine (mine sounds like it has a ticking noise, same as the other one I'm storing over at my place), exhaust leak, clutch, starter bolts working loose...

As far as the oil light turning on or flickering during excelleration, thats a normal thing. The sensor is in the front and when you get on it all the oil goes to the back of the pan. Not to worry, the oil pickup is in the back so your not short changing your engine in the oil department.

thank you very much for the quick answer. I'll post a short video with the ticking sound and hopefully someone will recognize it.

thanks a lot!
Adi

This probably won't help much, But I had a ticking sound which I thought was coming from the right side in first and second gear. Come to find out that it was the vibration between the speedo and it's mount. The sound was reflecting off of my mini windshield making it sound like it was coming from the right hand side. I only heard it in first and second gear because road noise would eventually drowned it out. If I put my hand on the speedo while it was happening, the small amount of pressure from touching it would muffle the noise.

It only seemed to happen between 2000 and 4000 RPMs also, when the motor had the right resonance to make it vibrate.

Thad

This probably won't help much, But I had a ticking sound which I thought was coming from the right side in first and second gear. Come to find out that it was the vibration between the speedo and it's mount. The sound was reflecting off of my mini windshield making it sound like it was coming from the right hand side. I only heard it in first and second gear because road noise would eventually drowned it out. If I put my hand on the speedo while it was happening, the small amount of pressure from touching it would muffle the noise.

It only seemed to happen between 2000 and 4000 RPMs also, when the motor had the right resonance to make it vibrate.

Thad

my flyscreen makes all sorts of noises. so does my faux tank with solid motor mounts. glad u figured it out its such a pain to trace that crap b/c usually its only at higher RPMs with the bike moving.

I had some ticking in the valve train area that went away after I adjusted the valves. I was amazed how much quieter the engine got after adjusting them. If you have around or over 25,000 miles it would be due anyways.

heard somewhere once someone describe a sound from the electric fan running and the shroud touching making a noise, maybe something like that?

Airplane mechanics fix this type of pilot reported problem all the time
for example..."found tick. Replaced with mouse. Everything quiet as a mouse now":eusa_dance:

Airplane mechanics fix this type of pilot reported problem all the time
for example..."found tick. Replaced with mouse. Everything quiet as a mouse now":eusa_dance:

:rofl_200::rofl_200:because its true...... soo true but makes sense no :ummm:

be like found tick, got lime powder and now no more tick :punk:

to me, it sounds like a starter issue. maybe the bolts have back out a little. Have you tried to start it when the battery is low?

My second guess would be header leak.

My third would be a valve issue.

that does not sound good at all,i would drop the oil & filter .cut the filter open & look for any metalic particles ,run a magnet around in the oil & see what is there as evidence.
it is hard to judge from a video but it sounds like the beginings of a big end going .under load it will be quiet its on the overrun & off load you will hear it untill it goes totaly.
dont ride or run the bike get a bike mechanic who knows what there doing to look at it .
if your not skilled with spanners ask on the forum for the nearest member who is they would look at it & give advice .i would but i am on another continent.
dont try any oil additive stuff to fix it it needs surgery .

Adi, perfect video. I watched it on my iPhone and the sound came through very well. Unfortunately, it sounds bad to me and I cringed every time you revved the motor. Definitely a metal to metal sound. My uneducated guess is that it is not down low like crank bearing or con rods. Not that deep knocking or clunky sound. More like a ticking from valvetrain or some clearance issue behind a side cover. Adi, see if you have a friend that has a stethescope. You will quickly narrow down and pinpoint the exact source of the noise. Please don't ride your Max in this condition. If we can hear it this clearly on a video, it has to really be hitting hard in real life. You don't want to damage it more extensively. You may be able to feel where the noise is coming from. Of course try it when it is cooler but even thin gloves on a warm motor will be ok to check with. Your English is very good by the way. Good luck.
PATMAX

Thanks guys, I'll take to the doctor sometime this week I hope (depends on the weather...) - problem is that in Israel it costs a fortune to visit a good mechanic (my last visit I spent 1611 us $ !!!) - I love my Max but I need to think carefully how to spend my money this is why I post here - to get a clue about the problem.
Thanks again - this forum is truly amazing!

i . AS SAID BY " PATMAX " TO ME , ITS NOT DEEP ENOUGH TO BE A CRANK OR ROD ISSUE ! .. IT KIND-OF IS MORE OF A SPORADIC RATTLE THEN A CONSISTENTLY TIMED RATTLE , LEAVING ME TO THINK MAYBE A BROKEN TIMING CHAIN GUIDE AND / OR TENSIONER & ITS RATTLING THE SLACK SIDE WHEN YOU GIVE IT A LITTLE GAS , AND THATS WHY IT WOULDN'T RATTLE UNDER HIGHER RPM'S , ( ITS GOING TO FAST ) , OR MAYBE SOMETHING WITH THE WATER PUMP DRIVE ? .. :confused2:

i PULL THE SPARK PLUS OUT AND TAKE OFF THE LEFT FRONT COVER AND SPIN THE MOTOR OVER BUY HAND , WITH A RATCHET ON THE CRANK , AND GO SLOW AND SEE IF YOU CAN HEAR IT , YOU MAY NEED TO ROCK THE CRANK BACK & FORTH ! ... NEXT I WOULD PULL THE VALVE COVERS TO SEE THE VALVE TRAIN & TIMING CHAIN !

Back