Stripped/ruined top thread on triple tree

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hey folks:

The very top threaded portion on a custom triple tree I have (the part where the top nut goes down over the top of the triple tree) is stripped/ruined.

Let's imagine I cannot replace this triple tree....so, what can I do to fix this muddled mess? Is there any Helicoil big enough to repair this and handle the torque required for this top nut?

I'm at a loss here, and any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks muchly.

Elimax

as far as i know helicoils would be more for the nut than the post itself.

i duno man thats a tough one, do u have a USD setup? a machine shop might be able to fix it, but not sure how. i have a motorcycle machine shop i'd probably bring it to and ask what they could do.

i'm sure someone on here will have an idea tho.

take it to a machine shop and have them cut new threads. They may end up having to change the pitch or even shaving down the OD a bit would require a new nut but it would be a cheapo fix. Or you could get the stem pressed out and try to find one elsewhere (maybe sean) or just call a salvage yard and look for the part. Possibly pinwall on ebay? Lots of options.

Agreed, the stem was a separate part at one time and may be the best replacement option for you. You could try having it recut for smaller nut if there is enough material - also if there is enough material you could cut it to the inside diameter of the helicoil and use it as your threaded bushing. Worst case would be welded up and recut but that could introduce a lot more issues with tempering and or warping.

Back