Stripped/stuck 2 pilot screws. Ideas? AAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamV4

Reaction score
Every time I deal with a dead bike, I see why seller gave up. These 2 screws can be it. Holes were filled with dirt, maybe I needed more patience to clean/blow/PBblaster screws.

Hello! Any smart people, who didn't drink beer today? ;)

Left hand twist drill bits will probably walk those right-out. First, you need to remove all sediment to see what type of shape the slot of the pilot jets are in. If the slot is in good shape, you may be able to use a properly-fitting slot screwdriver to remove the pilot jets. The PB Blaster is what I like to use, too.

The pilot jet below, though the slot was far-from perfect, still was able to be unscrewed as the thread was not buggered, and as-small as is the jet, there isn't much torque on the jet threads. A few light taps on the end of the screwdriver handle, and ensuring the screwdriver is fitted as-tightly as-possible to the pilot jet slot, and pushing the handle down as you try to unscrew it, should help. If it's still not budging, some heat like a heat gun may assist the pilot jet removal.

If the slot deteriorates, then the left-hand drill bits will be your friend. Harbor Freight has a decent set of ones which will work. Choose a size which is a bit larger than the diameter of the jet's center hole. As the drill bit begins to bite, you may find that the jet will just unthread, and walk-itself out of the carburetor body. Repeat as-necessary.

VMax pilot jet lighted.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/left-hand-drill-bit-set-13-pc-61686.html

Last edited:
Aluminium alloy expands more than brass so applying a bit of heat ought help.

Easyouts are an other option, they are hard but because of that are brittle so can snap, which makes the problem significantly worse hence I would avoid using them.

Latest posts

Back