Stripped thread insert for brake light switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvmx12j

Reaction score
*New to this, sorry if im posting in the wrong section*
I’ve been restoring my uncle’s 1997 vmax after he passed last year and I’ve run into a bit of a problem. Just changed the clutch plates and put in new oil. Ran the bike for the first time in a couple months and noticed an oil leak. Checked all my bolts and as it turns out the brake light switch bolt spun freely. Tried tightening it many times until pieces of the insert started coming out. Doesn’t seem like a bolt hole that can be drilled out. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

You may need to post a photo as I'm not familiar with the area you mention.

Are you saying the stripped bolt is responsible for the oil leak or do you have 2 seperate problems?

Is there not enough metal to tap for a helicoil?
1618520975517.png

You may need to post a photo as I'm not familiar with the area you mention.

Are you saying the stripped bolt is responsible for the oil leak or do you have 2 seperate problems?

Is there not enough metal to tap for a helicoil?
View attachment 76451
Area is on the left hand side of the clutch cover. Wasn’t familiar with there being helicoil on here but it seems like there is not enough metal left to catch thread. The strip is responsible for the oil leak. Thanks.

Attachments

• 6874E51D-7582-48F9-BDB6-FDD581FEDC6A.jpeg
    6874E51D-7582-48F9-BDB6-FDD581FEDC6A.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 17
This bolt hole? I suspect if you remove the cover and use either a nut-sert or a heli-coil, you will have enough meat there to get something in-there to hold. Remember the torque on those is minimal, just a few ft/lb.

VMax stripped cover bolt hole.jpeg

if it's a 6mm bolt you should be able to re-tap it for a 7mm bolt if you don't want to try helicoil

The data is online but I measure major diameter for M6 helicoil to be 7.2 mm.

Of the more accessible lugs on the engine casting measure 12mm across, that's over 2mm each side.

You would need to remove the cover and use a smear of sealant, in fact that may be enough.

An alternative would be to fill the hole and drill/retap - you would temporarily fit the outer cover and a small tube in the hole in order to centre the drill.

Ideally you would use a TIG welder or Lumiweld or similar a type of aluminium filler but that may not be practical here for reasons I won't go into so instead try JB weld - supposed to be very strong but make sure the hole is clean of oil.

We have used helicoils in there before. You could also retap the hole for a non metric bolt that is ever so slightly larger (I think the 1/4" bolts are larger).

Latest posts

Back