stripping ugly black paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I used Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper to remove ugly gloss black paint from these pieces. One is needing multiple coats to remove the paint. I'll use fine wet-or-dry sandpaper and a buffing wheel to clean them further before I use clear-coat lacquer on them.

If you use this stuff, visit your Harbor Freight and buy some nitrile gloves, and a pair of safety glasses. Wear long sleeves, and it wouldn't hurt to have a charged hose standing-by so you can immediately douse yourself if you splash yourself with this caustic stripper.

These look so-much better in the natural metal finish than they did in black.
VMax scoops-side covers.01.jpeg

Ive had excellent results with an aerosol paint stripper called Tal Strip II.

Wear heavy duty gloves. It burns your hands quickly. Glasses or goggles aint a bad idea either. I was doing parts in an old washtub in the garage. The fumes were wicked.

I still prefer the plastic media blasting though baking soda blasting also works well. I've even seen dry ice blasting and water vapor blasting.

What i'd really like to try is the laser blasting you see on internet videos that remove rust. I bet it would remove paint very easily as well.

I had tried the Aircraft paint remover that you can get in an arosol can, doesn’t work as well as the liquid form.

Parts look good FM. I like the unpainted look as well as painted.

I still prefer the plastic media blasting though baking soda blasting also works well. I've even seen dry ice blasting and water vapor blasting.

What i'd really like to try is the laser blasting you see on internet videos that remove rust. I bet it would remove paint very easily as well.

I have limited room for blasting equipment, I have a Harbor Freight (HFT) bead blaster set-up now. It textures the aluminum too-much for me, I've been looking at the vapor blasters. A guy on youtube sells plans for converting a HFT cabinet to vapor blasting, two versions, one for ~$600 and the other about $1300. What I really-need for this work is a more-CFM air compressor. One of the new equipment vendors of vapor blasting equipment has one for $800 but it's pretty-small. Their larger stuff is 3X the price, or more. I'm not too-enthusiastic about trying to find something used, as I don't want a piece of crap or someone else's problems. http://vaporhoningtechnologies.com/ here's the vendor I was looking-at, made in the USA.

The bicarbonate of soda blasters work well, I also have a portable HFT one of those, I like it because it doesn't texture the parts. I use it on carb bodies including float bowls. I also like it on chromed parts as it does a great job of cleaning any pits. The portable unit I have is a big pain to load with powder.

As much as I do I don't even have one lol. I need to get one but my guy is only about 15 minutes away and reasonable in the costs.

Latest posts

Back