Strong gas smell!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constantinos

Reaction score
Hey guys...so I noticed that when I start the bike and let it idle, I smell gas from the exhaust (stock exhaust). The situation is so bad that if I stand facing the rear of the bike my clothes smell like gasoline!

The bike has no problems starting, sometimes on the first or second tries. The previous owner installed chinese K&N lookalike filters (cone) but left the bike with the stock exhaust. I ordered a stock airbox to remedy the situation because I do not to install an aftermarket exhaust. Obviously with that setup I was losing power.

My question is, why the gas smell? I suspect a couple of things. 1) a float is stuck open flooding the cylinder and 2) the bike is running too rich because of the whole filter-exhaust setup.

Any ideas? :ummm:

The bike is running WAY too rich due to the cone filters. To be able to run the cone filters, you have to run air correctors...if not, you will have too much air coming into the carbs, pulling too much fuel into the carbs...IE running too rich.

The stock air box LIMITS the amount of air that can enter the carbs...so it limits the amount of fuel that gets pulled in with the air.

If a float was stuck you would have raw fuel physically leaking out of the carbs.

Even if you ran the aftermarket exhaust, you would still have to install air correctors to limit the amount of air that would enter the carbs. Sounds like the previous owner didnt know what he was doing.

Here is a dynojet kit. The air correctors are the first row on brass "thing" on the right, right next to the 2nd needle.

Attachments

• Z1E_0424.jpg
    Z1E_0424.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back