Stuck fork

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yamaha spindle taper machining specs call for re-tooling the taper cutter every 10,000 spindle tapers....you have the 10,001 spindle taper??? :confused2:

I'm guessing a manufacturing screw up.

Yamaha spindle taper machining specs call for re-tooling the taper cutter every 10,000 spindle tapers....you have the 10,001 spindle taper??? :confused2:

I'm guessing a manufacturing screw up.

Maybe....but figured that I would post this, so that for in the future, and this happened to someone else this could be used as a possible cause.

yup, happened to me awhile back, in fact, there is a thread on it, I wrote up, had to take it apart to release the stick, next time, i'll not compress it so much. forks are gtg now.

^ Glad to here you got it figured out.
I had a feeling the old taper spindle was warped or swollen.

Did you try compressed air to blow it backwards, using one of those rubber-tipped air chucks, into the damper rod hole? The old style forks which still used a drain screw in the bottom side of the slider, would have made the delivery of air easier.

Nope....anytime I tightened up the bolt at the bottom of the forks, it would draw the spindle into the fork, causing it to jam. Now, one thing that I did figure out, was I could tighten the screw about 3 turns, and then that would allow the fork to move, but you you still feel it grab anytime the fork was fully compressed.

Will the forks ever COMPLETELY bottom out, to the point of where this would catch going down the road...no, but it bothered me, why 1 fork was ok, after i pumped it to get all of the fluid out, and the other...would stick.

With the taper being .3 mm wider then the other, it couldve been a bad batch.

But to get the fork loose, I hit it with a rubber mallet, no luck. I tried to pull it apart...no luck, even with a friend helping me. That spindle taper would get jammed in there every single time.

I had the same issue on one of my forks last year. I ended up putting a 3/8" extension thru the bolt hole, stepping on that to secure the bottom of the fork and then grabbing the tube with fresh latex gloves for good grip. For me, slow, steady, increasing pull pressure eventually unstuck it. I also twisted slightly as I pulled.

I had good seals and was just swapping fluid and installing progressive springs, so I did not remove the bottom bolt.

Mine got stuck for exactly the same reason: I was pumping it to get all of the old fluid out. Same issue also - one fork was fine, the other one stuck.

Thanks for posting the culprit! Sounds like i.e. illness to order some parts for the exit rebuild...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hold the tube with slider down and bump slider with a rubber hammer and it pops loose every time.

hope it woks for you

Back