Stuck Idle mix screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
How difficult is it to fix this if the screw head has been damaged?

I was having some issues with my carbs popping and a real slight idle backfire. Went to do a peashooter and screwed up the mix screws on the right 2 carbs when going to back them out 2 turns. I stopped jacking with the screws right then.

Went to do a synch and the right bank of carbs was pulling a tremendous amount more vacuum when trying to balance left/right. No matter how much I turned the balance screw it stayed way higher. The idle did change considerably tho. From almost 3k to almost stalling out.

Is there a walkthrough detailing how to remove/replace the idle mix screw? Had a mechanic tell me that I had some really nice paperweights now, and should find a used set or purchase new ones...

If you are mechanicly inclined its not hard to do. Get a 1/4 " drill bit n drill a quick pilot hole/mark in the screw the 1/4" bit will center the starter hole in screw then get a 1/6 drill bit & dill the threads out. Just be REAL CAREFUL you dont drill into the carb body then they will be paper weights. Once the threads are drilled the needle should come right out you can even use a sewing needle to push it out through the hole in carb. Good Luck.

You can't pop it out if the threads are stuck. If it turns but won't come out. Then ya air will pop it out. I thought you said it was damaged n won't turn?

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Just found this, mentions removing the screw by shooting air down PAJ1. This will work if I can get the screw turned out?

Now I just need to figure out why my carbs wont balance :bang head:

If you get the screw turned out just tap it face down on the bench and it should fall out. The washer and o-ring are a different story sometimes, you may have to go 'hunting' for them.....keep looking till you get them out too, they'll be in there.

When installing A/F screws put a small dob of never seize on the threads and plug the holes. It's common to have problems on the right side as water lays in them when it's on the side stand.

When installing A/F screws put a small dob of never seize on the threads and plug the holes. It's common to have problems on the right side as water lays in them when it's on the side stand.

thoughts on a squirt of WD40 or a drop of oil in there before they're capped?

Oh right on, thank you guys!
if you haven't already ordered the screws, don't order them from boats.net, they have them on backorder. don't know about partzilla's stock. partzilla has same shipping cost, but like a few more quarters per screw.

Back