VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkoTheSane

Reaction score
I have a 1991 VMax that I'm replacing the downpipes on (rusted original one) and I have run into some trouble. I'm running out of ideas so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Out of 4 studs, the first one came out with the hex nut (probably the best possible outcome), the second sheared off level with the collar and the other two the nuts came off as expected.

The problem is that both collars were stuck on the internal studs (nearest the centre of the bike). While trying to wrestle the pipe off the broken stud (after lots of WD-40, some heat and hitting it quite a bit), the stud broke again, this time just inside the engine.

My friend had a stud-removal kit (tapered bit with reversed thread on it) so we drilled a hole in the centre of the broken stud and applied the stud-remover....

Which snapped off, leaving itself (hardened steel) right in the middle of the stud, and nothing we throw at it has been hard enough to drill it out.

We've made things worse by trying to drill it out, or around it with a smaller bit and are now kind of desperate. Funds are in short supply and I really don't want to have to remove the whole engine and take it to a machine shop (way beyond my comfort zone) to try to solve it.

The other issue is that the other collar is still stuck fast onto the innermost stud (but moves a bit on the outer one). Any bright ideas for getting that to shift? We've tried heat and a candle, penetrating oil, hitting it, levering at it (we've taken the radiator off to get better access) and have stuck there, too.

PB Blaster & an acetylene torch, a few cherry-red heat/cool cycles where you quench the hot studs w/PB. If it's gonna come out that should do it. As far as the snapped-off extractor, an engine removal & an electric disintegrator may be your only option. Might as well let the machine shop do all of them. Engine removal isn't difficult. It is time consuming. Label everything. Take pictures. Use ziplock bags, a permanent thin tip Sharpie marker, a roll of masking tape, & a good floor jack. I have removed & installed 'em myself but a friend helps.

A good idea, from Rusty, is to hang the engine for removal and install. You can muscle it off with a friend and a jack. Carbs need to come off, middle gear, frame section removed. Wiring ect. Exhaust studs best installed on engine in the frame, just a little more room without them in the way. It's very doable. Others will chime in with morre info I'm sure.
Steve-o

I have removed & installed the engine w/both the middle gear & the studs on. If it makes it easier, that should be better.

Engine removal isn't really that bad. You can have that puppy out of there in a half day max. More like an hour or so really.

Just stay organized and label stuff as you go like was mentioned before.

Oh, and your thread title had me going in an entirely different direction. Guess I'm a sick f%#}ker

Latest posts

Back