Stumped on leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukemax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gear oil weeping out of this hole, I don't know what is supposed to go there. Could someone check and let me know. I looked in the manual as well as the parts breakdown. I didin't see anything.

Shaft.jpg

Uh, could you pan-back on that? So we can see where it is?

The out of focus parts in the background look like the spaceship in the movie Prometheus, when it falls to the planet's surface, and is about to turn Charlize Theron into a flesh-pancake as it rolls-over the top of her.

Prometheus running from the falling spaceship.png

Last edited:
A weep hole it looks like for the rear driveshaft tube? If so, nothing goes there. Its supposed to be open. Perhaps you have a leaking pinion seal on the rear diff.

You've got a bearing and/or seal going bad.

That's a weep hole. It's put there so that when the internal parts start to wear out it will leak fluid so that you can repair it before you have a catastrophic failure.

Water pumps on cars have the same thing as do differentials and transmissions on many cars and trucks.

Sorry, hard to get a good shot with my camera....I cleaned everything up and went for a 5 mile ride, when I got back you could see it was wet...I check where the differential meets the shaft, no leakage...

This AM I was out for about 40 miles, when I got back it actually left a little puddle (about dime size),...

Did do a shaft oil change around 4k ago, with the Yamalube gear oil....Top.jpgBottom Shat Tube.jpgBefore Ride.jpgAfter Ride.jpg

Again, you have an internal failure. You're going to have to pull it to find out what it is. It's designed that way. As the internal part wears it will leak. That's why the hole is there to let you know you have a problem.

After spending more time looking at the manual, I see exactly what you meant....

Sounds like this may be a big job and above my expertise, just looked at the manual, pulling apart the final drive looks a bit complicated...

Thanks

Last edited:
Getting the rear diff off is no worse than getting the tire off. Get the tire off, 4 bolts, diff slides right out. Then you can check to see if the rear diff pinion seal is leaking.

Well....it is possible. But first you need to know where the leak is. First we gotta kill the pig before we worry about the BBQ sauce.

If the pinion seal is indeed leaking....you will need to check for lateral play in the yoke. If there is excessive play....then the bearing went bad. If there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of free play, replace the seal. See what happens. The worse is you are out some time and a seal. If you do attempt to remove the rear diff, make sure you check those Ujoints as well. A bad joint can take out a seal.

My Gen 2 had shaft oil come out of the vent when I first changed it. I filled it according to the service manual. I don't know about Gen 1s, but this reminds me of that.

First thing get the bike level and check the fluid level in the rear.
Are you sure you didn't overfill it when you did the change?

I had it level on bike stands. I followed this procedure.

CHECKING THE FINAL GEAR OIL LEVEL 1. Stand the vehicle on a level surface. TIP • Place the vehicle on a suitable stand. • Make sure the vehicle is upright. 2. Loosen: • Final gear oil check bolt “1” 3. Check: • Final gear oil level A small amount of fluid should flow out of the check hole when the oil check bolt is loos- ened. Does not flow out → Add the recommended final gear oil to the proper level.

At high speed directly after this, there was enough that had seeped out onto my rear tire I thought I had a flat.

I used the factory Shaft drive gear oil (Part No.: 9079E-SH001–00)

I concluded it had foamed up coming out of the Final gear oil filler/breather assembly.

Latest posts

Back