Stupid shops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so this was a car shop. I usually do about everything myself but since I am staying at my father in laws with very limited resources I stopped at a Full service auto repair down the road & asked them about an alignment on the 68 mustang & the guy (around 65 years old) started trying to explain to me how they did not have the special tools to do it.:rofl_200: I just turned around & started walking off. I wanted to tell him what you don't own any standard wrenches. ( I used to do them for a living) freaking idiot I think he read my dismay & he said well there is a specialty shop down the road. Needless to say I wont recommend this shop for any thing.

LOL.....I'm not surprised. I own a 66 Dodge Coronet. With a 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8, you can take the entire car apart.

Oops I forgot, the bolts for the bumpers are 3/4 or 13/16.

Pretty-bad, I find that usually the older guys still working will give you a bit of credibility if you just know what you're talking-about. Sometimes it feels good to just walk-away.

My wife was on her way to an important appointment first-thing today, and there she was at home w/a flat tire. I removed it and took it to a Sears tire shop for an inside-patch. After waiting in an empty shop for the service writer to finish the paperwork from the only other person who had been there, he finally got-around to asking me why I was there.

"I need a car tire flat patched, the wheel is off the car in my truck," I told him.

"OK, we can do that, come back in two hours, and it will be ready," he replied.

That's a job that should take ten minutes! I asked him about why the long wait.

"We do everything by appointment, there are three cars ahead of you," he told me.

I politely declined to wait for my tire patch and went to a Goodyear Gemini shop where the store manager cheerfully pulled my tire out of my pickup bed, gave it to a service tech, and in ten minutes, the wheel was back in my bed. He wouldn't even charge me! I got change for a twenty and handed the service tech who did the patch a tenner.

Years-ago, I went to a Sears auto store for a new pair of shocks for my van. About two weeks later, I was driving down US-1 in Miami FL and heard 'pling-pling-plingplingplingpling' coming from under my truck. I pulled-over and found a three inch stack of flat fender washers was about a third-missing on one of the shock mounts which also went to a steering member. I guess they had to cut-off the shock bolt, and when they replaced it, they didn't have the correct length, so they just threw in a much-longer one, and took-up the difference in length w/the stacked fender washers as a multi-segmented 'spacer.' Of-course with use, the stack loosened-up, the nut fell-off the bolt, and the washers were raining-down underneath my truck onto the road, South Dixie Hwy. in Miami. Man, I was so-pissed! I took it back and got it repaired for free, of-course. Maybe if they had just run a couple of weld beads across the stacked washers' edges, to make it a single rigid spacer, the repair might have survived. They never even told me about the mickey-mouse repair! If they had said, "we don't have the correct size bolt/nut for length in-stock, we did this so you can drive it home, but if you can bring it back tomorrow or as-soon as-possible, we'll replace what we have in-there w/the correct length bolt," but they didn't. Stupid, dangerous people.

Sad thing I could make a few toold up and do this on the garage floor. I did go to the shop down the road and ask a few questions the guy there seemed knowledgeable and ask me a few questions back so I will probably go down there.

LOL.....I'm not surprised. I own a 66 Dodge Coronet. With a 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8, you can take the entire car apart.

Oops I forgot, the bolts for the bumpers are 3/4 or 13/16.

Alighnment cam excentrics, and torsion bar adjustments. Nothing like the old Mopar suspentions. A plearure to work on and own.

Latest posts

Back