Successful site glass replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the fluid level site glass's on both master cylinders and so far, no leaks. The clutch side has a little metal frame that I knocked out with the old window, there is also a slotted plate behind the glass that makes it easier to see the fluid level, but that got bent up so I didn't replace it. It would be nicer with it because the fluid looks almost black and is a little hard to see the level.

The brake side has the slot as part of the housing casting. The front brake calipers were already rebuilt & bled with new fluid and I was able to pull the fluid down below the window and change the site glass without letting any air into the system.

Both sides were done the same, a thin bead of Hondabond around the back edge of the hole, the original o-ring, another thin bead of H/B, the site glass, another thin bead and a final o-ring. Let it cure for 24 hrs, top up and check for leaks. When inserting the glass, push it against the back o-ring with a fingertip and rotate the glass 1/4 turn or so....this will spread the H/B evenly and create a better seal. Be careful not to apply too much H/B, it's hard to clean off the inside of the glass....especially on the brake side.

Can't tell you where I got the glass cause the paperwork is AWOL but the link is posted on here somewhere...it's Onfrei, or something like that. Measure the hole ID with inside calipers and order accordingly....if the glass is too big just run some emery cloth around the edge till it fits.

I got the plastic internet lenses, too, but in the future I am just gonna go to the jewelers' & buy the correct size in a polished sapphire lens replacement for a watch.

Glad it turned-out well. We all like pics, yes? I think Permatex black gasket 'goo' sealant would work too. Dunno if it makes any difference, hard-set or soft-set, as there's no stress on the site. I have several cyl's to do, but the last two rebuild kits I tried didn't "take," they were K&L, which usually make good stuff. I always eyeball w/care the bore and just throw the masters away if I see any physical defects or corrosion which doesn't clean-up easily.

Nice pictures are nice F/M but my pictures suck....I got some old hand me down camera that my father-in-law dropped on the sidewalk....I'll spend big money on VMax stuff but not one dime to get a good camera to capture nice pics with....I don't understand it either! :rofl_200:

U end up using those glass I sent you or had to get new ones. I'd have to look back on where I bought them,was off the forum link.

Back