Sudden high idle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
So I last rode my 07 VMax Gen 1 last weekend with no issues. Started her today and the bike fired right up but then after about 5 seconds the idle shot up to 3000 or so. Almost like the choke was engaged (It wasn't). Blipped the throttle and it briefly came down to normal but then went back to a super fast idle. Nothing has been touched since last weekend so I'm a little mystified. Any thoughts would gratefully recieved.

A number of things can contribute to high idle, but not too many of them come on suddenly like that. My first suspicion would be somehow the mechanical carburetors’ synchronization got knocked out of whack. I’ve seen a bad sync do that. Both on my 94 and on the 86 I have now.

If you’re lucky, smarter people than me will weigh in soon…

I agree w/both guys. Use some starter spray and douse each carb in-turn, to-see where the leak is. Of course, the engine must be running.Do a visual check of the airbox and the carb rack rubber gaskets, to ensure that the visible gasket rings are all seated properly, and that your clamps are tightened sufficiently. Then use the spray.

You want to check the throttle cables to ensure there is slack in them, that they are lubricated, and that the cable run isn't pinched somewhere. The outer jacket could have been pinched from moving the bike from steering lock to steering lock, such-as when trying to park the bike, or moving it. Remember that you have four cables. Also eyeball the linkage in-between the carbs, to ensure that nothing is preventing the return of the levers operating the throttles to their idle position

Last edited:
Back