Suggestion on Clutch Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mista_max

Reaction score
i 'm rebuilding the clutch on my 87 VMAX and was wondering which way to go in terms of clutch kits. Im changing friction and clutch plates.

Tks

Max

I vote PCW because that's what I have. It's all stock yamaha friction discs (plus a full one instead of the last 1/2 one) and a heavier spring. I'd use stock steels, too.

Some guys like the Barnett one, too. Are your steels messed up?

Posted with my thumbs.

I started a thread a few weeks ago about the DD mod since I was doing my clutch. Well, I am running the full Barnett kit (frictions and plates) and the DD mod with doubled up springs.

Holy Mother's Bunions, this thing is stout! I should probably do braided stainless hoses pretty soon. I'm sure it's taking more pressure to activate the slave now.

It may be too much for my urban street-fighter deployment, but I'll give it a few weeks. If my left forearm starts looking like Popeye, the extra spring is coming out.

Also, somebody said it makes for a binary clutch (on/off). That is very true and takes a bit of adjustment. But, for damn sure, when engaged, it's REALLY engaged.

Can't go wrong with stock disks IMO. Aftermarket can be hit or miss. I've used the PCW heavy duty spring and was very happy. Easier to pull than the DD and never slipped on a 123 Hp Max with synthetic oil in it. I've also used the Barnett Spring conversion and really liked the way that felt, but I don't think it is as strong as the PCW spring.

I installed the Barnett pressure plate and like the adjustability of it. If you install the Barnett and later want a harder engagement, Barnett sells staffer springs for the pressure plate. So far, I like the stock springs and the feel is much better than Yamaha stock diaphram

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

I agree w/the owner satisfaction of the setup Tom has, mine is the same, w/the extra full friction disc, all frictions OEM stock, and rough-up the steelies w/scotchbrite or sandpaper to break any glaze. The PCW won't punish you in stop & go traffic and the system has never slipped-Stage 7, UFO 4/1, COP's, fresh cyl heads & undercut tranny w/a DYNA 3000 ignition.

Stock frictions and steels with a PCW spring.................................Tom.

The Barnett (we sell also) does work well but it's not going to hold much more power then the stock engine can put out. The PCW is a little stronger but not much. You need to go to the DD to get any real serious holding power (and also my favorite of the conversions).

Stock frictions and stock steels all the way! We have all this stuff on hand (though I think I am out of the Barnetts and would need to order one in).

Sean

Putting my vote for D2. Less slip is less wear and less glazing of everything. I think anyone here can easily get used to the change in the clutch let out. Plus all stock parts and easy install are just bonuses. No synthetic oil for me though if that matters to you.

I've got the double D in mine too, as heavy as I am (lighter now and still going) I get no slippage even on 80hp of nitrous, makes it a little harder to launch though just because its harder to modulate while launching but you get used to it :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Back