Sumitomo 6 pots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sand blasted them today, going to strip them now and paint them. What’s the best way to get the cylinders out? Air? Do I have to split them? Do they just push back in after removing. Plan on soaking all the gaskets in brake fluid while I have the pistons apart

Attachments

• 7636DA64-4C37-4B00-9D6E-D5497204A720.png
    7636DA64-4C37-4B00-9D6E-D5497204A720.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 24
You don't to split them. Just make sure you didnt' get any media in there.

Assuming they aren't connected to a brake hose I would use air to get the pistons out. A 6 piston caliper can be a little tricky. I try to get them all out a bit and then work one at a time. They make special pliers for this (someone posted a photo here not too long ago and it was news to me) but, I've never needed much other than air or, hooking it up to a brake line.

You're putting in new seals? Brake fluid works. I have some grease that I received with some caliper rebuild kits long ago that I use. Its pink. Kinda feels like silicone. Not quite sure what it is.

Assuming they aren't connected to a brake hose I would use air to get the pistons out. A 6 piston caliper can be a little tricky. I try to get them all out a bit and then work one at a time. They make special pliers for this (someone posted a photo here not too long ago and it was news to me) but, I've never needed much other than air or, hooking it up to a brake line.

You're putting in new seals? Brake fluid works. I have some grease that I received with some caliper rebuild kits long ago that I use. Its pink. Kinda feels like silicone. Not quite sure what it is.

Thanks. I’m going to try and get them ready for paint tonight. I’m not replacing the seals, was told it was unnecessary unless they were leaking. Just wanted to clean them up a bit. Thought I’d have to split them

If you must bring your bike parts in the house, please place them on a doily...you are making my wife angry!

Latest posts

Back