Supercharged @ 12PSI

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boostmax

Reaction score
Finally got the motor broken in enough to toss her on the dyno while at bike week . Better than expected!

Engine:
1200 block with low compression, 8.5:1 pistons
Magnacharger at 12psi with 24 tooth lower pulley
Holley 390 4 barrel carb
Nology wires/coils
Dyna 3000 ignition on setting 2 at 9500 rpm rev limit
UFO dragstar exhaust

164 HP at 9500 RPM

The guy couldnt get a spark/rpm reading.....the nology system was actually crashing his computer every time he hooked it up....said he never had experienced that before...tried it 3 times. Thats some spark there!! : )

First run, the guy didnt realize that there was actually a tach on the bike...I told him 9500 max and he did it by ear.......2nd run I told him I had a rev limiter at 9500 and that there was a tach on the tank btw.... Hitting the rev limiter at WOT was pretty exciting, flames flying out of the exhaust and all!!

Could probably squeeze a bit more out by advancing the spark curve more, but I will wait until I get some sort of knock detection setup fabbed up first. Looks like I have some carb tuning to do as it runs real ric down low and at cruise, but has a not so good lean area in the mid range at WOT. The overlaid secondary graph on the dyno sheet is AFR... Also, I have a bit of a hiccup around 8000-8500. Sounds spark related....same spot both runs.... Hmmmm

Attachments

• Friend Blown Max by UFO 001.jpg
    Friend Blown Max by UFO 001.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Dyno_Page_1.jpg
    Dyno_Page_1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 329
That is a lovely linear power delivery! Gotta love blowers..

One question, do you ever worry about your left knee, or is it nowhere near those pulleys?

That is a lovely linear power delivery! Gotta love blowers..

One question, do you ever worry about your left knee, or is it nowhere near those pulleys?

Hah, from the day I got the bike, I have had a real nice bruise on the inside of my left knee from that little chrome cover that sticks out over the top pulley. It goes about 1/2 inch out farther than the pulley does, so it keeps my knee about 1/2 inch out.. : )

Typically my knee doesnt ride on it, but occasionally I bump it while going through the gears or shifting my weight around. I used to bump that guard all the time when I first started riding it, not so much anymore really. The inside of my left boot has nice rub marks from the lower pulley too.....

Makes riding more exciting......:biglaugh:

Hang on tight!..................Those are some good numbers!....................Tom.

Right! If what I feel is only 165 and is absolutely thrilling, I cant imagine what the 200HP PCWs feel like!! WHOOOO!! :rocket bike:

Maybe someday........

My bike has an aftermarket exhaust KN filter and stage 1 jets and it has a ton of power .I cant imagine 165 horses!.

Why is there a drop just before the end of the power band before peak is reached, both lines have it.

Nice numbers, nothing sounds as good as a blower bike. On the printout the drop may be tire spin. Did they strap the back down to the Dyno?

165 hp is nothing to sneeze at, I can only dream of the day that Redbone would be able to put down those numbers!
Very nice bike Boostmax!

Why is there a drop just before the end of the power band before peak is reached, both lines have it.

Nice numbers, nothing sounds as good as a blower bike. On the printout the drop may be tire spin. Did they strap the back down to the Dyno?

There is a bit of a hiccup around 8500 for some reason. It sounds and feels like it is ignition related. I dont even know where to start with diagnosing/fixing it. Could be a glitch in the Dyna 3000? I'm not sure. It sounds/feels like it hits a rev limit for a split second and then gets back on it. :confused2:

The A/F looks fair....a bit lean, but not horrible or spiking at that rpm so it must be ignition related. Its possible that a sensor for crank position is getting flaky at that RPM, or potentially a different sensor. I havent studied the details on our ignition systems, so I cant make a good guess as to what it might be.

The carb needs to be rejetted/tuned. Once I have my Dynojet Wideband commander hooked up, I should be able to dial in the carb better. After getting my cruising ratios more lean and my WOT's more rich, next will be looking at the "hiccup". I'll let you know what I eventually find.

Close up your plug gap a little and see if that helps.

Sean

Thanks for the tip Sean,

Do you think that the plug gap would cause a 8500 rpm only hiccup and then perform normally again at even higher rpms and higher load? :confused2: I am running NGK resistorless plugs, 1 temp colder than stock, with dyna 3000 and Nology wires and coils.

It does seem a bit intermittent as well. It seems that sometimes that hiccup is not there, other times it seems very pronounced. Sometimes I dont notice it, other times I can kinda feel it as I pass through that rpm, one time I was winding out 4th and it backfired super loud (imagine shotgun sound) through the intake with associated power loss....that was enough to make me back off.....any anomolies at that speed are enough to break your confidence and make you slow down. It was backfiring through the intake with 0 power when I first got the bike and it had fouled plugs from only idling and never being ridden. A fresh set of plugs took care of that. But it does also backfire through the intake if you hit the rev limiter hard which I noticed while watching it on the dyno. Flames through the exhaust and through the backfire pressure relief valve under the supercharger.

Its hard to tell while riding at WOT because you're in stimulus overload mode with everything that is going on...keeping the front from getting too high up at the top end of 1st, keeping the front end down or at least low while shifting to 2nd, bracing the front end to reduce wobble when the front wheel touches back down while shifting to 2nd and again after it comes back off the ground after shifting to 2nd, waiting for that shift light to light up, looking around for traffic, holding the hell on, managing your adrenaline rush, etc..... man its fun though. I arrive at any destination in a great mood and a big smile on my face! :biglaugh:

I'll definitely pull the plugs and check the gap on all. When you say "a bit", what clearance should I set them to?

Thanks again

I'd maybe try .020" and see if that helps. On my blower car I have serious issues with it breaking up when under load at higher RPM's. It's not an all the time thing but closing the gap fixed it up.

Sean

I run my plugs at .025 under the nos pressure. Sean might be right. Also check your voltage on your charging system, needs to be high 13s also to get good spark. Try running it with headlight off ( pull the wires) see if it breaks up. I got 227 on nos at tire with 145 lb tq on a 565 lb max pcw and yes it is alot to hang on too.

227HP! Sounds like fun!! :eusa_dance: I'll definitely give closing the gap a shot! I hope the fix for that problem could be as simple as tapping on the plugs! Typically doesnt end up that way though...

I'll try .025 first then if it still persists, 0.020.

Thanks again!

I read an article once that said Nology wires hurt horsepower. Get some 8mm solid core wires, see what that does for it.

I read an article once that said Nology wires hurt horsepower. Get some 8mm solid core wires, see what that does for it.

Do you have any supporting data or theory for this statement? I'd be curious to understand the reasoning behind it.

Back