Surge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new here and hoping to get some input on my 2002 vmax with 8000 miles. I have gone through and rebuilt all the carbs recently due to a surge when riding. I thought it was the vboost so I disconnected the control box for that and it helped a lot. The bike still has a little surge (fells like you grab the front brake) when cruising down the highway or at a specific speed for a little while. I have also just synced all the carbs not sure what else to try any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If you give the bike throttle when it surges it comes right out of it like nothing happened. Bike also has a small hiccup when revving it up from idle but comes out of it just fine once the rpm’s are up.

Did you have the pilot Jets and the intermediate Jets out of the jet Block in each of the carburetors when you did a rebuild? Did you change the fuel filter? What does the inside of your tank look like? If it's not bright shiny metal on the bottom you're probably passing crud into your gas even with a filter.

Yes, I took all of the jets out of the carbs when doing the rebuild. It has a brand new filter and own fuel pump. Tank is spotless. I have messed with the air mixture screws bike seems to like it better when the choke is on but doesn’t fix it completely.

1st step is to make sure sure the carbs are clean, the tank is clean, the fuel is good, the lines aren't deteriorating (should be good on an '02!) etc...
Sounds like you have all that covered. TONS of folks think they do.....but they don't. I'm not knocking your capabilities. It just seems to be the most common issue. Guys say its clean then 2 weeks of putzing around find out its not.

Moving on

What exhaust do you have? Airbox/Intake setup? Are the carbs stock, STG7, re-jetted?
What you describe sounds like the needle needs shimmed up just a touch and maybe a tweak on the AF screws pending everything in step one check out OK. If the bike is bone stock, you usually don't need to do any of these tweaks save for a AF screw adjust.

Let us know what you got under the hood!

Latest posts

Back