surging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie1

Reaction score
rpm surges like crazy. the bike won't idle at all unless a lot of choke is used. and the engine surges with about a 2000 rpm range, like 1500-3500 or there abouts with the choke on.

On the road at speed it runs great but at low rpm speeds (below 2000) it seems to have issues (stumble, missing, rough, etc) while riding. And it will die at every stop unless I keep the rpms up, or choke it.

While riding if i close the throttle while still in gear I'm almost positive the engine quits running (fuel starvation?)

the bike ran great then I parked it about a month, maybe 2 since last riding. I had recently been adding 1 oz of 2-stroke oil for every 5 gallons to fight the ethanol. Not sure if this mixture sitting in the system for a few weeks gummed it up...I also run this mixture in both a carb and EFI harley and my carbed Kawasaki concours with no apparent ill effects.

anyway, I've tried playing with the idle speed thumb screw but it doesn't really help.

It's really wierd...ran great. parked a few weeks and won't idle or stay running...

From what I have herd these carbs don't like sitting around. I personally would not put oil in my gas but use a product designed for it. I use PRI-G and seafoam every so often. I would try running seafoam through a few tanks of gas and see if it helps. This a cheap first step at least.

Throw some Mechanic in a bottle into the gas... run it for about 20 minutes and let it set over night... feel like you got a new bike in the morning!

I've been running seafoam the last couple tanks but not having any effect yet. May have to go the shotgun route soon.

1 oz of 2 smoke premix to 5 gallons is not going to hurt anything. Thats about a 600:1 ratio.

I'd start with the shotgun and if that doesn't help, pull the rack and check the pilot jets.

I believe it is forum brother Alorio that swears by the effectiveness of a product called "Start Your Engines"
I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it on the shelf at Walmart.
Worth a try. If it fails, I'd do the Shotgun technique.
Vacumm leaks will also cause surging and poor idling, but if the bike was running great before the layup, more than likely the problem is due to carb jet issues.
Cheers!

I believe it is forum brother Alorio that swears by the effectiveness of a product called "Start Your Engines"
I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it on the shelf at Walmart.
Worth a try. If it fails, I'd do the Shotgun technique.
Vacumm leaks will also cause surging and poor idling, but if the bike was running great before the layup, more than likely the problem is due to carb jet issues.
Cheers!
I used Start Your Engines once last spring and it seemed to work pretty well.

The oil is not an issue. Like Mike said, it's highly diluted. Winterizing a gas engine the marina here-2 qts of Yami. 2-stroke oil & one bottle of stabilizer to six gallons of gas. Run through the system, then in storage till spring. Never an issue. And, that's with fuel injection and all it's orifices. Do the above things mentioned but don't discount an intake leak, battery/charging voltage, regardless of how it ran when you parked it. There comes a point where shit just wears out. Kind of like a light bulb, it came on till.............
Steve-o

will shot gun and check for vacumm leaks this weekend. Been riding it to work (90 mile round trip) with seafoam and hoping the jets get cleaned out...but not improving yet.

can the jets be removed with the carbs installed? I can change out my harley jets with the carb on the bike...would make it easy to inspect and clean with a thin wire strand.

Latest posts

Back