Suspension question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSRider12

Reaction score
So the stock suspension set-up on my 2002 Max rode really harsh. I replaced the fork springs and rear shocks with Progressive units but the ride is still pretty harsh if the road is not perfectly smooth. When I changed the suspension components on my 1991 ST1100 with Progressive products the ride got awesomely better. Why does the Max still ride like a hard-tail?

There's no air in the forks and the shocks are at their lightest spring setting. As I recall I used the spacer length recommended in the installation instructions for the fork springs. I weigh 166# and the suspension barely moves when I sit on the bike.

There's no air in the forks and the shocks are at their lightest spring setting. As I recall I used the spacer length recommended in the installation instructions for the fork springs. I weigh 166# and the suspension barely moves when I sit on the bike.

If it barely moves as you say then this would imply that you have insufficient static sag which is causing the harsh ride.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I can shorten the fork spring spacers but the shocks only have a pre-load adjustment on the springs, so I'm guessing that replacement with lighter value springs would be my only means to adjust the rear?

Thanks for the reply. Well, I can shorten the fork spring spacers but the shocks only have a pre-load adjustment on the springs, so I'm guessing that replacement with lighter value springs would be my only means to adjust the rear?
OEM shocks have 4 damping settings besides spring pre-load. Look at the manual.

Latest posts

Back