Suspension Re-fresh

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monster

Reaction score
Hello folks.

As you know the cold weather is here so I've started stripping down my front and rear suspension from my VMAX 1200 to get ready for restoration.

My first stop will be refreshing the forks and shock, maybe some new springs in the front end matched to my weight (linear) and if there's any other things that need doing then that too.

I have been recommended by a few people who I work with who own bikes, a company called http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/ who offer front and rear rebuilds and other various suspension parts. I dont have the time to rebuild them my self so I would rather pass on to somebody who knows what they're doing.

Just a quick question before I send them away, is there anything else suspension wise you lot would recommend? and also, has anybody ever used this company for work doing? my friends have bought parts before, but never had work done on their suspension so I just wanted to ask before hand if they are any good?

I wouldn't bother sending out the stock forks.
Buy the parts and do it yourself. Spring swap and install emulators. It's an easy task.

As far as shocks go, I'd save the money on the rebuild and apply to aftermarket units. The stock shocks aren't worth putting money in IMO. Unless brooks can work some kind of magic on them? Not sure, never heard of them. I doubt its possible though.

Did they still sell the Gen 1 in the UK new in 2008? Here in the USA the last model year is '07. The Gen II began in 2009. (your bike info in the upper right)

I second Mike, an easy rebuild for springs, Cartridge Emulators/RICOR's/YSS wave washer stacks (choose one), seals, & new oil; buy new aftermarket rear shocks from Hagon, Progressive Suspension, or similar. Do it yourself. The hardest part is loosening the Allen head screw in the bottom of the fork legs. Use an air tool, the easiest way or an impact hammer if no air tool.

Like everyone else......do it yourself. This forum can walk thru everything step by step. Unless they specialize in vmaxs. ...you will probably do a better job yourself.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I agree with everyone else.
It is pretty simple to install better fork springs (Hagon, Progressive or Racetech) and aftermarket rear shocks (Ohlins, Hagon, Progressive, etc).
And from what I can see on your link Brooks doesn't have any fork springs specifically for a Vmax.

Hi Chaps, thanks for your comments.

I ended up dropping them in with Brooks as they aren't actually far from me and I wanted to have a chat with the guy, see what his thoughts were.

Very knowledgeable, knows his suspension! Gave me a few options of what I could do with both front and rear, first new springs, new oil and seals and a re-valve if it could be done in the front end, then either a refresh or a new unit in the back.

Still deciding what to do with the rear if you lot have any ideas, replace or refresh?

Brook's have my forks at the moment, so Im hoping to have a decision for when I go back to pick the forks up, iv'e been quoted 2 weeks tops turn around.

Latest posts

Back