suspension set-up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxrooky

Reaction score
Ok I have a 98 VMAX have progressive forks springs lowering kit lowered 1" so should I get progressive rear shocks 13" , 12.5" or 12" want bike to handle good in twisties... I'm 220LBS. so should I get the heavy duty springs or regular springs? The wifey rides with me more than usual cause she loves the bike.But one the same note I don't want to get bucked off then bike when riding alone?let me know what you guys think I should do or what you would do gunna probably get the 412 progressives cause I'm a cheapa$%..lol STill confused on the weight ratio on the front tire some say you should lower the rear the same as the front some say no lower the front only..Front forks are not lowered at the triple clamp only with the fork springs..Thanks guys

I been there done that and i can say dont go with the cheap ones keep your stock shocks and save up some coin, go with 12" if you lowered the front 1".

HD springs if you ride with your wife much. Anything from 12" to 13" will work just fine. We've got pretty decent pricing on the progressives. Check out our regular site for pricing.

Save up , get better shocks that have multiple adjustments for when solo / 2 up . 12.5 or 13 " What is her weight ?

her and I probably are 400 plus on the bike...Been married 20 years still don't know he weight lol she never tells me..

I like the 13", 440's with the front lowered 1". Having more weight forward keeps the front end down in first gear. Makes for good burnouts and handles great in the twisties. My wife and I combine at about 330 lbs.

Guess they've renumbered the options and I have no idea what may be comparable now.
the higher the number, the better though. http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productlinemetric.html

444's unless you want "works" or even some of the "penske" shocks we sell (hold on to your check book with the Penske but they are the best you can get.)

I had a penske on my fz1.... It was pretty serious. I'd love to have a penske setup on the max, but not for double what I paid for the fz1 shock. That would be more than I paid for the bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dang what a difference shocks make and the front fork springs on my vmax... Man she rides like caddy... Thanks for the help guys. Mods so far are front progressive forks springs lowered an inch...Progressive rear shocks 430 12".. New clutch and carbs re-jetted so I get some fuel mileage out of this beast.. Very happy with my madmax right now..

Latest posts

Back