Suspension Upgrade Input

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK3333

2000 VMX1200M
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so, the suspension is the next upgrade I am looking to make on my 2000 Max. It currently has stock springs, shocks & wheels. I am going with Progressive springs and shocks as it seems they are the best bang for the buck especially since i have a coupon for free springs with purchase of shocks.
I know many who have done this have opted to lower the suspension 1" or so. Lowering would allow me to sit more flatfooted but am not interested in modifying my kickstand, bottoming out on my exhaust, hitting my fender on the radiator or any of the other things that go with lowering.
That being said, what are the advantages in lowering the suspension and do they outweigh the cons? And how much could i go down without having issues mentioned above?

No advantage to lowering your bike unless you are not comfortable with how your foot contact patch is.

Any lowering will reduce available lean angle and cause hard parts to drag sooner.

Some do like to raise the forks in the triple tree a little....1/2" - 1" or so it will quicken up the steering a bit. Also will make the bike a little less wheelie prone.

If you think you'd like to have your feet flatter on the ground consider getting a cut seat before lowering the bike.

The best handling performance upgrade I have done is to run radial tires. Usually this means a 17" or 18" rear wheel/tire. Cornering is more-secure, one ride on a radial-equipped bike and you won't want to go-back.

No advantage to lowering your bike ...

I beg to differ good sir. Since when is a Vmax with a cooler looking stance not an advantage? ;)

I lowered the front 1", and will lower the rear the same..(when funds allow..of course).

YMMV

T$

I beg to differ good sir. Since when is a Vmax with a cooler looking stance not an advantage? ;)

I lowered the front 1", and will lower the rear the same..(when funds allow..of course).

YMMV

T$

Cooler is cool. :cool:

lowered bikes just look like the suspension is broken to me, think I'll try some motocross suspension on mine :D

Thanks for the replies. I already have a midcut Muscle seat. Looks awesome and much more comfort. I never really wanted to lower it, just considering all and best options before I buy shocks.

Years ago Sean Morley built a larger Diameter Front Fork Assy. For Me... Springs , Emulators and I believe BG Fluid( He'd Know). With a Fork Brace that I got from Kyle. I paired this with Progressive Shocks The Best there were, Standard Length.. Combined with a Max Gasser Seat.. Never had any complaint about the setup...

Last edited:
The best suspension I ever ridden on is : Racetech front springs and Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/VMX1200 V-Max/1993-2013 and Works rear shocks. http://www.worxshocks.com/html/street.html

Not the least expensive combination but they work phenomenally well. The front end will feel like a modern street bike, firm and linear - not only will it handle better but braking is enhanced as well. The rear shocks are well damped, gone is the Pogo stick feel.

Ok, so I have Progressive springs on order and am going to order OEM fork seal kits and source the fluid locally. Is there anything else I should be replacing/ordering to get this job done? I would like to have everything on hand ready to go. Rear shocks are gonna have to wait.

I am in the camp that feels a lowered bike doesn’t look broken, but looks bad ass. Yes, hard parts start scraping with spirited riding, but 1 inch down keeps you from getting stupid and still allows some adrenaline rushes.

I guess it matters more if tight canyon carving is your ultimate goal. But I am fortunate enough to have different tools for different jobs. If I want to go canyon carving, The Vmax probably wouldn’t be my first choice.

Not only that, but Arizona has some challenging twisties and my 94 was lowered with progressive an inch at all four corners, I didn’t feel too compromised when running with other folks on some of the more challenging back roads. Often times, it has more to do with riding ability than machine capability.

Back