Suspension Upgrade Input

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TK3333, Jul 21, 2019.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Jul 21, 2019 #1

TK3333

TK3333

TK3333

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ok so, the suspension is the next upgrade I am looking to make on my 2000 Max. It currently has stock springs, shocks & wheels. I am going with Progressive springs and shocks as it seems they are the best bang for the buck especially since i have a coupon for free springs with purchase of shocks.
    I know many who have done this have opted to lower the suspension 1" or so. Lowering would allow me to sit more flatfooted but am not interested in modifying my kickstand, bottoming out on my exhaust, hitting my fender on the radiator or any of the other things that go with lowering.
    That being said, what are the advantages in lowering the suspension and do they outweigh the cons? And how much could i go down without having issues mentioned above?

2. Jul 21, 2019 #2

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

No advantage to lowering your bike unless you are not comfortable with how your foot contact patch is.

Any lowering will reduce available lean angle and cause hard parts to drag sooner.

Some do like to raise the forks in the triple tree a little....1/2" - 1" or so it will quicken up the steering a bit. Also will make the bike a little less wheelie prone.

If you think you'd like to have your feet flatter on the ground consider getting a cut seat before lowering the bike.

3. Jul 22, 2019 #3

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

The best handling performance upgrade I have done is to run radial tires. Usually this means a 17" or 18" rear wheel/tire. Cornering is more-secure, one ride on a radial-equipped bike and you won't want to go-back.

sdt354 likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2019 #4

V-Four

V-Four

V-Four

I beg to differ good sir. Since when is a Vmax with a cooler looking stance not an advantage? ;)

I lowered the front 1", and will lower the rear the same..(when funds allow..of course).

YMMV

T$

5. Jul 22, 2019 #5

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

Cooler is cool. :cool:

6. Jul 23, 2019 #6

Julian Tomkins

Julian Tomkins

Julian Tomkins

lowered bikes just look like the suspension is broken to me, think I'll try some motocross suspension on mine :D

TK3333 likes this.
  7. Jul 24, 2019 #7

TK3333

TK3333

TK3333

Thanks for the replies. I already have a midcut Muscle seat. Looks awesome and much more comfort. I never really wanted to lower it, just considering all and best options before I buy shocks.

8. Jul 25, 2019 #8

SpecOps13

SpecOps13

SpecOps13

Years ago Sean Morley built a larger Diameter Front Fork Assy. For Me... Springs , Emulators and I believe BG Fluid( He'd Know). With a Fork Brace that I got from Kyle. I paired this with Progressive Shocks The Best there were, Standard Length.. Combined with a Max Gasser Seat.. Never had any complaint about the setup...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    DMAN999 likes this.
  9. Jul 25, 2019 #9

Itgoes

Itgoes

Itgoes

The best suspension I ever ridden on is : Racetech front springs and Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/VMX1200 V-Max/1993-2013 and Works rear shocks. http://www.worxshocks.com/html/street.html

Not the least expensive combination but they work phenomenally well. The front end will feel like a modern street bike, firm and linear - not only will it handle better but braking is enhanced as well. The rear shocks are well damped, gone is the Pogo stick feel.