Suzuki Bandit 1200/1250 Vs. VMax 1200

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regular Guy

Reaction score
Hi guys, do any of you have or have had a Bandit 1200 or 1250? If so, how does it stack up against the Max?

The reason I ask, is childish as it is, is that since I got my VMax last weekend, my brother who went with me to get it is jonesing for a bike. He used to have a Bandit 1200 and really liked it and now wants another. It's a d*ck measuring move is what it is! I think that HE thinks the Bandit is the better bike.

I will say that I can't find a whole lot online about comparisons of the two and I think the Bandit is a nice bike for sure. I know we ARE all fanboys of Mr. Max but what say y'all on the comparison of the two? I know they're different animals so I guess I am looking for an overall "which bike is better"

Thanks!

I rode one of the early ones in 01 maybe... I really couldnt find anything wrong with it, pretty quick and decent riding bike. It just didn't stir the soul. IMHO it lacked character, if that makes any sense. I would never trade my Vmax for two Bandits.

Here is everything broken down by the numbers.

Also here is one thing that can be brought up. The Gen 1 Vmax is virtually the same bike in 07, that is was in 85. Hell the 85's are now 32 years old, and they are STILL relevant. Not many bikes can say that.

Attachments

• 2015_01PerfIndex.pdf
    122.1 KB · Views: 33
1200 bandit is not an esp quick bike. I'v heard 1200 bandit owners losing drag races to the quicker 600 crotch rockets

The Bandit has more aftermarket support because it's a GSXR-derived engine. They are easier and cheaper than the VMax to make faster & quicker. However, the VMax is a rare event on the roads these days where you will see more Bandits comparatively. Aesthetics as an issue, the VMax was The Bad Boy when it launched, and was still a fearsome competitor in real-world use, not as-much on top end, but torquey acceleration without having to downshift 3 gears. If you were really in a hurry, on a VMax downshifting three gears will either result in a power wheelie, or let the front tire skip-across the pavement as it barely makes contact because of the weight transfer. Look behind you, and there's a rubber snake trying to catch-up to you, beneath your rear tire.

I think if he liked the Bandit, and found one in good shape, he would be OK to get it. Think of the endless denates you'd have and every time you went-out, it would be a pissing contest. Whose bike is better, today? That could lead to some Mod Monkey visits. My suggestion is to keep your $ in your pocket, and learn to be a better rider.

endless denates should be 'endless debates'

Still no 'edit' function available to me.Anyone else miss it?Wasn't Buster looking into getting it back?

Besides the traffic light grand prix the most important consideration is they are very different bikes.
I have a 600 bandit and they are deffo for sport bike people rather than cruiser dudes

A Bandit is an excellent machine, but there is no getting around the "cool factor" of a VMax. It matters not one bit to me if someone's bike can take me in the quarter mile. I have never had my '85 on the strip. Never wanted to. My bike and I have gotten old together. I'm sure it's slowed down a bit over the last 32 years, but I'll bet I've slowed down more.

Admit it. All of us get just as big a bang out of watching people stop in their tracks when walking by, to admire / comment on our Maxes, as running them into the boost. And the longer you own one, the better it gets. That's something you can't explain to someone riding a cookie - cutter bike that was produced by the million. We all got something special, and we know it

A Bandit is an excellent machine, but there is no getting around the "cool factor" of a VMax. It matters not one bit to me if someone's bike can take me in the quarter mile. I have never had my '85 on the strip. Never wanted to. My bike and I have gotten old together. I'm sure it's slowed down a bit over the last 32 years, but I'll bet I've slowed down more.

Admit it. All of us get just as big a bang out of watching people stop in their tracks when walking by, to admire / comment on our Maxes, as running them into the boost. And the longer you own one, the better it gets. That's something you can't explain to someone riding a cookie - cutter bike that was produced by the million. We all got something special, and we know it

Just love the fact you've had your bike from new dude. Makes me smile everytime a post from you pops up....brilliant

It's a keeper. Eventually my son will get it, but not for a while. I bought it on my 35th birthday, so it's not going anywhere till AT LEAST April 18, 2020. On that day I will have owned it half my life.

A vmax and bandit are pretty even competitors in a straight line. I'd think it would come down to rider skill.

You'd spend less money modding the bandit to blow the doors of the vmax than vice versa.

The bandit will handle the turns easier. It can be done on a max but takes a good rider to keep up with the more modern machines.

All that said, I'll keep the vmax.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had a choice to buy a Bandit but I've wanted a Max since I was a teenager when they first came out! I know it's not the fastest, most powerful bike on the road but I didn't buy it for that. I simply like the look of it and I've been a Yamaha fan my whole life so it just made sense. I can't wait to get the sucker tagged so I can hit the road. The title FINALLY came in today!

I've never really cared if it will cover the 1/4 in 10.90 or 11.30. Like Bill, I wont be taking mine to the strip. It's fast, sounds great and a kick to ride. Easily smokes Harleys and the vast majority of other cruisers. If I were concerned primarily with raw power I might have gone with a ZX14, Busa or something like that. The Gen1 Vmax is a truly iconic classic and not terribly common. All things considered shes a keeper for me since I have wanted one since 85.

I do love the personality of the Vmax way better which is obvious, The Bandit is just another run of the mill bike but like I said earlier handles great & I could jump on one & outrun a stock max thru the 1/4 mile. It all comes down to rider in the end

1200 bandit was never a rocket. Rode one a few years back and wasnt enamoured with it. This year I am taking the max to the tt again. A couple of friends are coming, one on a max and another on a 1250 bandit. So in around three months i should be able to give a definitive answer to how the two bikes compare in the real world. The isle of man has some seriois twisty fast roads, not to mention the mountains 13 miles of unlimited speed road. Should be a good real world comparison. :eusa_dance:

I had a Bandit 1200 GSF before I bought the Vmax and it was a fun bike to ride.I toured on it,blasted through the mountain roads,to work and play.It didn't do everything fantastic but was a great all round bike.Especially loved to mono everytime I watched the ghostrider do his thing I would go do some stupid things on it.Shame I wrote it off but still good memories .Kevman.

I had a 1200 bandit back in 2003. I kept it for a couple of years and it was a good bike. I don't think anybody ever came up to me and said 'hey, nice bike'. As now, with my '86 Vmax I get that every day! I suppose owning a Vmax is a bit like dating a 'supermodel'.

1200 bandit was never a rocket. Rode one a few years back and wasnt enamoured with it. This year I am taking the max to the tt again. A couple of friends are coming, one on a max and another on a 1250 bandit. So in around three months i should be able to give a definitive answer to how the two bikes compare in the real world. The isle of man has some seriois twisty fast roads, not to mention the mountains 13 miles of unlimited speed road. Should be a good real world comparison. :eusa_dance:

You need to get yourself a helmet cam for that trip dude. I'd love to see a couple of max's at the TT

Latest posts

Back