swapped front end

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
I swapped my front end today from a complete 85' assembly to an 03' fork with an 85' wheel. After setting it down I realized it was lower even without all of its parts.

If anybody has time I could use a measurement from these two points.

From the bottom edge of the lower tripple to the lip that the fork guard sits on.4CCA8337-AC6E-4A97-BD19-937D8BBFD02D.jpeg

Did you air-up the fork tubes? 10-14 psi is what I'd suggest. That will definitely raise the front steering head.

You may-have an internal lowering kit in the downtubes. It can be 1 or 2 inches.

Did you get the front calipers and how do they match to the '85 wheel's rotors? The '85-'92 calipers have a different mounting o.c. compared to the '93+ calipers. The pic is fuzzy, it's hard to-tell what you have there.

Last edited:
03' rotors, calipers, fork with the 85 wheel.

no air in the new set. wasn't any in the old set either. It looks about 1.5 lower.

I figured it had lowering springs but didn't know how much lower if any an 03' sits. I figured a measurement would be easier than taking it apart.B2F466EA-A782-402F-95E6-8D207C2DB27A.png

I'm heavy, ready to-ride. I need the air in the forks. Without it the front end would easily bottom-out. Have you ridden a bike aired-up? For my riding it makes a big difference in the anti-dive when braking hard, and the precision in the curves is better.

no i haven't ridden it. i was just trying to figure out weather or not the front was lowered or not. Before i took the other forks off they we're also aired down and this set is at least 1 maybe 2 inches shorter. I won't really know how much shorter until i put everything back on it.
Right now it's just a bit over 1 inch lower.

Possibly a daft question but are the spacers over the springs in place or too short?

IMO if forks bottom out that is because either the static sag has not been set, a heavier spring rate is required, wrong damping oil (too viscous) or there isn't sufficient oil.

I swapped my front end today from a complete 85' assembly to an 03' fork with an 85' wheel. After setting it down I realized it was lower even without all of its parts.

If anybody has time I could use a measurement from these two points.

From the bottom edge of the lower tripple to the lip that the fork guard sits on.View attachment 74260
Exactly 8 inches on my '07.

It's never been touched.

They both should measure 34" from top of top triple to center of axle. I think that is with no weight on the front end but it's been awhile.

apparently it has been changed. I have 6.24 and 32.

I guess I will take the tops off today and see what type of backyard engineering wen on in there.
probably needs oil changed anyway.

Probably Hamamatsu/Iwata oil in-there. Sounds like you may have a 2" drop. Just for the fun of it, air the fork up to 14 psi and take the measurements before you disassemble it, and post the results. If you use an air chuck, you only need a second to air it-up, and turn-down your psi valve.

Those valves are for letting air out.
Air will blow your fork seals.
Use a different oil
This has been discussed on here before.
A lot of riders don't add air.

15 1/2 springs progressively wound with 9 3/8 spacer.

as for air never really needed it i always changed springs anyway. But.EAAB2253-5582-459C-97EB-1DAD376EEB91.jpeg

Those valves are for letting air out.
Air will blow your fork seals.
Use a different oil
This has been discussed on here before.
A lot of riders don't add air.
6-14 psi, Woody, you run no air pressure? What's your ready-to-ride weight? That may be indicated if you use aftermarket springs. Race-Tech springs set for your riding weight and type of use, I believe don't require air pressure. Stock springs, unless you're a featherweight, and ride gently, and who does that on a VMax?, my experience is that my riding benefits from airing-up the forks.

"Air will blow your fork seals?" Maybe if your compressor is set at 145 psi on the pressure regulator, and you leave the air hose on for more-than a momentary spritz. But, whatever works for the rider/owner, set it up how you want. You can buy a syringe/pump to fill the forks if you want, for a slower fill.

They both should measure 34" from top of top triple to center of axle. I think that is with no weight on the front end but it's been awhile.

Mine is exactly 32.5 inches sitting on the garage floor.

apparently it has been changed. I have 6.24 and 32.

That is really weird. Overall length you're only a half inch off my 07, and again, it's never been touched. But somehow, you're 1.76 inches short on just the lower leg.

yeah i'm thinkin you are right. My free length is 15.5 I read in another post about a 19" free length for the springs.

my factory manual confirms 19.2. I went over to the other shop and measured 33 15/16 top to center on the other bike. (seans 34" confirmed)

went over to a friends house and measured his junk and got 32" top to center his factory manual says free length 15.1"

my book and bikes are 85's his is an 05' book and bike.

they are just different. my complete 85' sits 1.7 inches higher at the frame/footpeg than his 05'.2F02B1FB-167F-4077-96E2-080A7ABFBA2F.jpeg

i measured to the top of the seal for my 6 1/4 not the bottom of the protector thats 7 1/2.

i measured to the wrong place. eediot.

Latest posts

Back