Swing arm allen bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shredder

Reaction score
Trying to get rid of my high speed wobble so im checking the torque on my swingarm bolts. What size is the allen head bolt? I i have to buy a allen socket and need to know what size it is. Thanks.

Yup standard M8 Allen. That should
not pose any problem for your issue. I would pay more attention to the pivot bolts torque.

View attachment 53073
Trying to get rid of my high speed wobble so im checking the torque on my swingarm bolts. What size is the allen head bolt? I i have to buy a allen socket and need to know what size it is. Thanks.
Shredder, If you are asking about the swingarm pivot bolt behind the round chrome cover it is 10mm allen.Nut torques to 72 ft lbs.
Outside diameter is 30mm 6 point.

Attachments

• CIMG1245.jpg
    CIMG1245.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 23
Blaxmax the side with the lock tabs is 74 ft lbs & the other side with the jam nut is 53 in lbs.

Dave
Right side is 6mm allen and 27mm 6 point at 53 ft lbs
My manual says both are 72 ft lbs.???
Page 384 of 405 shows both at 72 ft lbs----
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf

Pivot Shaft (Left)
Frame
M22 x 1.5
Pivot Shaft (Right)
Frame
M25 x 1.5
Pivot Shaft (Right)
Locknut
M25 x 1.5
10.8 72

The right side is composed of a threaded bolt (allen goes in here) and a nut. The threaded bolt is torqued to a small value against the left side nut. The low torque value is what is actually applied to the swingarm bearings - I do recal it to be in INCH Pounds.

Then the nut is torqued down to the same value as the left side bolt (72 ft lbs). The nut on the right side holds the threaded bolt with the allen hole in position - ensuring the correct torque is applied to the swingarm.

The procedure is:
1) torque down the left side bolt to 72 ft lbs.
2) torque down the right side threaded bolt with the allen to whatever the INCH lb setting is
3) holding the allen (so the threaded bolt does not move), torque down the nut to 72 ft lb.

Right side is 6mm allen and 27mm 6 point at 53 ft lbs
My manual says both are 72 ft lbs.???
Page 384 of 405 shows both at 72 ft lbs----
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf

Pivot Shaft (Left)
Frame
M22 x 1.5
Pivot Shaft (Right)
Frame
M25 x 1.5
Pivot Shaft (Right)
Locknut
M25 x 1.5
10.8 72

Yes right side as your sitting on bike is a 6mm allen with a 27mm nut over top of it. The allen needs to be torqued to 53 inch pounds. The left side of my bike did not have an allen just a 30mm bolt. The 30mm bolt on the right side was torqued to 74ft pounds when i checked it. The 6mm allen on the other side was not torqued to 53 inch pounds. I torqued it to spec. Hopefully that help my wobble.

Yes right side as your sitting on bike is a 6mm allen with a 27mm nut over top of it. The allen needs to be torqued to 53 inch pounds. The left side of my bike did not have an allen just a 30mm bolt. The 30mm bolt on the right side was torqued to 74ft pounds when i checked it. The 6mm allen on the other side was not torqued to 53 inch pounds. I torqued it to spec. Hopefully that help my wobble.
Just for reference the photo I took of the left side has a 10mm allen "T" handle inside of a 30mm 6 point head nut.

Yea i saw that. My bike does not have that allen. Just a 30mm 6 point head nut.

Guys. I have a bin of pivot bolts and there are 2 versions of the left bolt one with a inner Allen 10 and another with a through hole. The real torque has been mentioned and it's he one applied to the right bolt. The outer nut is just a lock nut to prevent the bolt from undoing.

799d7ef7c5cc9ac92aabc9e474369c21.jpg

Right side as your sitting on the bike. 6mm allen and 27mm nut.

a0bf767a49bd2fda5821a0bafdcbebc5.jpg

Left side as your sitting on the bike. 30mm

Atleast thats how it is on mine.

Agreed, I typically see the 10mm inside the head of the fixed bolt (left side).

The fixed bolt on the left side of my 06 does not have a 10mm hole either, IIRC.

What year is your bike Shredder?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back