Swing arm tire clearance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxout1200

Reaction score
It appears that on the shaft side of the swingarm there is a plastic cover that fills a hole in the swingarm closest to the tire. I think this will be able to be removed or modified for more tire clearance for those that feel they need a wider rear tire.

Attachments

• 09 Vmax 008.jpg
    09 Vmax 008.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 72
There is a 240 rear tire kit being worked on by Yamaha and should be out by June. There is enough room to fit a 240 now with no swingarm mods.

There is a 240 rear tire kit being worked on by Yamaha and should be out by June. There is enough room to fit a 240 now with no swingarm mods.

How much clearance do you have in front of the tire between the swingarm with a 240?

Remember at high speeds and during burnouts, the tire increases in diameter.
So maybe Yammy is increasing that clearance as well as the sides.

It appears that on the shaft side of the swingarm there is a plastic cover that fills a hole in the swingarm closest to the tire. I think this will be able to be removed or modified for more tire clearance for those that feel they need a wider rear tire.

That's really weird. I don't remember seeing a drive shaft on the outside of the swingarm at the pre production one they showed us at the 507 Ride. I wonder if they chaned the drive shaft/swingarm configuration for the final release? Look at the pictures I have in this thread. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4589

That's really weird. I don't remember seeing a drive shaft on the outside of the swingarm at the pre production one they showed us at the 507 Ride. I wonder if they chaned the drive shaft/swingarm configuration for the final release? Look at the pictures I have in this thread. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=4589

I can't really tell in your picture due to the angle. But there is a plastic cover on the inside of the swing arm next to the tire in my picture of a production model.

I can't really tell in your picture due to the angle. But there is a plastic cover on the inside of the swing arm next to the tire in my picture of a production model.

Maybe that was it, I didn't see it because of the cover... I found it surprising that the shaft went the way I drew it over top of the swing arm.

How much clearance do you have in front of the tire between the swingarm with a 240?

Remember at high speeds and during burnouts, the tire increases in diameter.
So maybe Yammy is increasing that clearance as well as the sides.

If you use a Metzler that shouldn't be an issue. They are not supposed to grow. A lot of bike builders use them so they can get the rear fender closer to the tire. Here is a pic from a custom 09 with the 240.

Attachments

• vmaxshow12.jpg
    vmaxshow12.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 30
Back